Early in January, four of Nixon's advisors were found guilty of a "cover-up." Later on, others were found guilty of breaking and entering. Many in the government close to the former President Nixon were sentenced to prison.

         The communists were making headway in Vietnam, and the U.S. was trying to do the same. But in April, U.S. planes were airlifting orphans from Vietnam and putting them in Guam until they could be cleared to enter the United States. They also started airlifting Vietnamese who were faithful to the Americans. President Ford was asking for more money to keep the war going, but congress was getting so many letters from back home that they refused to vote any more money. On April 30  Saigon, capitol of Vietnam, surrendered. Evacuation turned almost into chaos as North Vietnam took over. All of those 50,000 American boys who died...who could say WHAT FOR? And what of all those injured and mutilated for life? The whole operation was a BIG MISTAKE! The United States had lost the respect of many countries! Nelson Rockefeller resigned as Vice President.

         January 14, Morris and I left with the trailer for Florida. We found nice campgrounds on the way to Lakeland. After a time with Galen and Thelma, we went to Sebring and Highland Hammocks Park. We surely enjoy that park! Clarence and Alice Bittner found us there by calling Galens. Then the Bittners and we camped together for about three weeks. After that we started for home up the west coast of Florida. We spent nearly a day at the beautiful Bellingrath Gardens near Mobile, Alabama. We got home February 26. There was so much snow on Lily Creek and North Harlem roads that we got stuck with the car and trailer, and the neighbor came with his big tractor to pull us into Breezewood.

         We talked to attorney Beckmire about updating our wills. He advised us to change them to "tenants in common."

         While we were gone Nimtzes, who had bought our dairy farm, were making arrangements to sell it. We told them there was a penalty in the contract for early payment. They had our lawyer figure out how much the penalty was. Then they went ahead, paid the penalty on contract and sold the farm. Nimtzes buyer would pay the whole principle left as soon as he could. We were very disappointed, because it was bought by a corporation that was not interested in keeping it a Grade A dairy farm. All the buildings, dairy equipment, silo unloader and feeder, barn cleaner, milk tank, etc. would not be used. Just the land was all the corporation cared about. Later, seven acres including the house, all the buildings and calf pasture were surveyed out and sold separately.

         Morris and I signed up for Social Security. I had another disappointment. What my mother had given me for a birth certificate was not such but just a doctor's certificate of a live birth. So I had to take our big family Bible to the Social Security office to finish my application. Morris' certificate was accepted. Then I had to try to get a valid birth certificate. I knew that if I ever wanted to get a passport to go to a foreign country I would need a real birth certificate. In March I wrote to Topeka, Kansas to find out the procedure. They required two statements and two affidavits proving my birth. One affidavit had to be by someone living who had been alive at the time of my birth and knew about it at that time. I was sixty-four that year and had a hard time thinking of who could do that. Finally, my cousin, an only child, came to my rescue. She was eight years older than I and had told her mother at the time I was born that a "mistake had been made, because I was meant to be her sister." I asked her if she would write that on this affidavit sheet for me. She was glad to do that. Then, by using that and a copy of my marriage license and a couple school records, I finally received my birth certificate by October 22. In the mean time, we missed out on going on a tour to Switzerland because I could not get a passport without my birth certificate!

         I wanted to brighten up the appearance of our living room somehow. So we bought a new davenport from Sears in Rockford. We also had our love seat recovered.

Morie's Picture from the Cover of "Perspectives On Energy"

         In May, Morrie sent us a copy of the first volume of the book he had co-authored with another professor. The title of the book is "Perspectives On Energy."

         I was having a problem with my feet. During our Florida trip we had done a lot of hiking, and my left heel began to hurt. Instead of getting better, it got worse. In May I went to the foot doctor. He took X-rays and found spurs on both heels. He made castes of my feet and finally after three weeks he made arch supports to wear in my shoes. His bill was $120, but my feet felt better.

         Michele belonged to the Harlem Helpers 4-H club. On Dairy Day she rode in the parade.

         During the summer we went to the cabin three times. We also attended Annual Conference in Dayton, Ohio. We stayed in motels from June 26-30. On our way home we stopped in Greenville, Ohio, to visit Bessie Crim who was living in the Brethren nursing home there. Reverend Carl Zigler was the Chaplain of the home at that time.

         For the summer, Morrie and family were living in Madison again while he was teaching there.

         July 13, 1975, Dr. Cordier died at age 74. He was a very smart man, a teacher and statesman. I feel very fortunate that I had the privilege of sitting in his class at college for a year.

         We sold twelve acres of hay for $35 an acre. Later we rented our corn ground for the next year to Darrel Miller for $63 an acre.

         A young couple wanted to buy the ground we had given to Morrie along Lily Creek Road. So Morrie had Douglas make the sale for him for $4,200.

         Sunday, September 28, was a big day at our church. Jim and Sue Eikenberry were ordained into the ministry. Many were there from Rockford, Lanark and Lena. Sometime later we heard that Jim and Sue moved to Eastern Nebraska where Jim was to be the pastor. Sue went to McPherson College in Kansas, and, in time, she was ordained as a pastor too.

         October 14, I entered the hospital for cataract surgery on my right eye. I was put in a room with Alice Bittner who had just gone through a mastectomy. We had a good time visiting and enjoying each other's company. I went home October 20 but had to wear a patch over my eye for three weeks. November 8, Dr. Kortemeier took out the stitches. By December 5, my eye was tested for a new lens. It cost $72. Finally, after eight years, I had two good eyes again.

         Morris was still working in CROP. He spent many hours and gas trying to get canvassers for money and friendship acres.

         We were notified by IRS that we would have to start sending in our estimated tax every three months. We were not making enough money farming to be classified as farmers. Before Morris retired we paid income taxes once a year, by March 15.

         We celebrated Thanksgiving and Christmas with our families here. I felt I had much to be thankful for.





         Starting January 1, letters had to have a 13¢ stamp to mail. We made reservations for a two-week stay at a campground in Harlingen, TX. We left on January 5 for Texas. We stopped at Perryville, AK, at the Heifer International Project. This large project was the outgrowth of what Dan West had dreamed of years ago when he started "Heifers for Relief," and we had raised one the first year we started farming. This project was on a large farm that had been purchased for this purpose. There were several cottages, which were used by volunteer workers. We stayed two days in one of the cottages while Morris helped work with the cattle. Mr. Mannasmith was in charge. He took time off to show us around the area. We saw ex-governor Winthrop Rockefeller's farm which was completely modern. Our heifer project operators and the operators of Winrock farm cooperated in many ways.

         At Dallas, Texas, we visited Webster Firebaugh and Twila. Their daughter and family lived there, too, so we got to visit in their home. Bob and Jenny Jealouse were still in Dallas. We spent some time with them. Of course, we were shown the place were Kennedy was shot.

         At San Antonio, we saw the Buckhorn Hall of Horns. That was very different and worth going to see. The next day we got into the Rio Grande Valley. Cousins Merrill and Alice Firebaugh lived in their Airstream trailer in Alamo Park. We camped a few days in nearby Winter Haven Park. Merrill and Alice took us to church. Then we went to see an aloe Vera ranch and factory that made the jelly of the aloe Vera plant into a tonic for one's digestion or into a face cream, hair shampoo and many other products. We also picked oranges and grapefruit.

         South of Harlingen we found Dixie Land Manor where we registered to camp for two weeks. As soon as we got our trailer set, we looked up our cousins Lloyd and Ruth Hauger who lived in Palm Gardens Mobile Estates. That was only a mile from our campsite. We spent a pleasant two weeks together. They took us to a Mennonite Spanish Mission at Brownsville on Sunday. Friends from Sterling lived there during the winter doing volunteer work. One day we crossed into Mexico at Progresso. All we bought was two bottles of vanilla. We had to go into a liquor store to get them. The Mexicans called it a "bottle" store.

         Morris wanted to do some fishing, so we went to Padre Island. That area was mostly sand and plenty of wind. We took a boat trip to see the whooping cranes. We got a good look at a pair that had a baby crane. We saw quite a few adults.

         At the Arkansas Wildlife Refuge our car began to give us trouble. It would stop for no reason at all. Our heater did not work either. The car was still under warranty so we took it to a large AMC garage in Victoria, Texas. The man in charge knew immediately the trouble. It was the timing and something else with the heater. We were glad the heater was fixed, too, because we would need it for going home. Back at the Wildlife Refuge we drove around early evening to see wild hogs, deer, turkeys, buzzards and all kinds of sea birds. Farther north on the east coast, fishing was pretty good for Morris. He fished from the shore, getting Red Snapper and Whiting, mainly. A friendly neighbor in camp knew where to go for oysters.

         We got enough oysters for two meals. The next day, I went with this neighbor to town. When I was leaving her trailer I bumped the right side of my head hard on her awning support. The next day Morris and I found a better campsite on Galveston Beach. I found two perfect sand dollars on that beach when we went shelling. We went to see the Astrodome at Houston. As we were touring that place my right eye began to hemorrhage so bad that I could not see out of it. That bump the day before did it. It made me sick, so we started for home. North of Bloomington, Illinois our gas line sprung a leak. We had to wait until the next morning to get it fixed. We finally got home Saturday night.

         My eye seemed a little better. Monday morning I went to Dr. Cox, because Dr. Kortemeier was not home. He called it a vascular hemorrhage that would heal but the sight would never be as good as before. Since cataract surgery on that eye, it had seemed better than my left. It was a low moment for me. I was given no medicine or instructions, so I went about my work at home trying to catch up on what needed to be done after a month long vacation. But my eye got worse again and hurt a lot. As soon as Dr. Kortemeier got home I went to him. I had an infection in my eye,[ which required drops and medicine twice a day and inactivity for me. I had to rest it more. He even mentioned Passavant Hospital and Dr. Dobbie. After several days and weekly visits and monthly calls I was dismissed in September.

         In the mail when we got home was a notice that my Uncle Ira Yohn had died in California. Also in the mail was my Medicare card which I could use after I would be 65 in May.

         This was the year Ray and Florence Schoonhoven were to pay up the rest of their debt on Father's farm. We had attorney Beckmire bring the abstract up to date. By March 12, we had the rest of the money, $12,300, for Ralph and the same for me.

         In April I traded in my big electric organ for $900 on a new one at TerHarks plus $813.75. My old one gave me a lot of trouble with keys not playing.

         Starting in May, and extending through the summer until frost came, I seemed to have fruit or garden produce to pick and freeze or can almost every week. I was glad I was able to do it, but it took a lot of time.

         The church council decided to sell the parsonage since Reverend Eikenberry lived in Rockford. We were also still involved in the tutoring program with Lincoln School. Morris went quite often, and Michele helped too.

         Michele was in the Dairy Day parade again this year. She rode on the Harlem Helper's float. It took second prize.

         July 14, 1976 Jimmy Carter was nominated to run for the Presidency on the Democratic ticket. He ran against Ford and was elected in November.

         July 20, the U.S. landed a "Viking" instrument on Mars, and it sent back pictures we could see in color on our T.V.. It lasted until 1982. Then it did not respond anymore.

         While we were up at the cabin in July we bought a cancer insurance policy. Five years later we were glad we did.

         When we saw there would be an abundant apple crop, Douglas bought a cider press. We surely have enjoyed the apple juice we got through using it.

         September 21, we left on Lillian Griffith's tour to Gaspe Peninsula. Besserts and Bittners were on the same tour. We went via Niagara Falls, Ottawa, Montreal, St. Anne De Beau Pre, and Quebec. The route followed the St. Lawrence River part of the way. We stopped at Perce at the east end of the Gaspe Peninsula?from there we took a boat ride to an island where there were many Gannet birds. On our way home we stopped on the east side of Lake Michigan to tour Cook's nuclear power plant. We arrived home September 30.

         In July there had been a disastrous flood in Big Thompson Canyon, Colorado. Our Brotherhood had a disaster coordinator working there and was trying to send new volunteers each week. Morris and I were asked to take a carload out, leaving October 30. There were six in our car. We stayed at the Sylvan Dell Ranch, which had suffered very much in the flood. A few cottages were usable, so we stayed in them.

Our Whole Family at Thanksgiving, 1976

         There were 36 volunteers working that week. I was asked to work in the office. Morris was assigned to cement work?putting in a foundation that had been washed out. Others worked up the valley getting homes ready to live in for the winter. Each evening we were fed by a different church organization, which had charge of feeding the volunteers the evening meal. There were 31 volunteers from McPherson College who came to take over when we left on Saturday.

         When we got home, the first news we heard was that Beaty Kinney, a deacon in our church, had died the day before of a heart attack. Such a shock! He would surely be missed in the life of our congregation?also as a personal friend of ours.

         Two days later, Rev. Eikenberry had a heart attack. Rev. Rogers of Lanark took charge of the memorial service for Beaty on November 13.

         With Lorrel sick, there were many problems at church to fill the pulpit and attend to other church business. Rev. Robert Roller of Franklin Grove had no pastorate at that time, so he was available to help out most Sundays. December 16th, Rev. Eikenberry resigned as our pastor. Many of us were sorry.

         At Thanksgiving, the Ivan Maiers joined with all our family in our home. The next day we cut up steaks and ground meat from the Angus cow that Morris and Douglas had butchered two days before. It was divided three ways, with the children and us.





         We had a new color TV, so Douglas, Audrey and girls were over to watch the Rose Parade and for lunch on January 1.

         We left January 3, with our trailer, for Florida. Gas was averaging 65 cents. We thought that was high. On our third day, we stopped at Americus, Georgia. We wanted to learn about the Koinonia project. We got some pictures but did not learn much. We camped at Valdosta, Georgia, and washed our trailer next morning before we went into Florida. Near Disney World we camped in an orange grove campground. We could have all we could pick from the orange tree above our trailer. We were expected to use good judgment and leave some for others!

         We spent a whole day at Disney World. Then at Lakeland we spent two days with Galen and Thelma and enjoyed every minute. At Fort Myers we visited Walter and Netta Gordon. It was good to get into a campsite again at Long Pine Key in the Everglades. The weather was quite cool for Florida. We started our trailer furnace. January 20 it froze hard. There was ice on our windshield. We listened to President Carter's inauguration on our radio. Morris had no trouble catching fish after the freeze. The fish were in shock from the cold and were swimming near the top of the water. It was too cold to be outside much?at least I thought it was. Moving around inside the close quarters of the trailer I became careless and bumped my head on a cupboard. Soon I noticed my sight blurring. By evening the next day I knew my retina in my right eye was becoming detached. All I could think of was getting back to Dr. Dobbie in Chicago, but I wanted Dr. Kortemeier to verify my condition and make the appointment. The weather was terrible the whole way home. Slippery roads caused our car and trailer to jack-knife. Drifts of snow kept us on the road. We straightened up and went on hoping there was no damage. Some time later we noticed a burning smell. We were on the four-lane by-pass around Bloomington. The smell got worse so we stopped on the shoulder and rolled down my window (automatic). The wind was blowing so hard and cold I wanted the window closed but could not.

         Our car was dead! We sat in the cold wind for over an hour as four-lane traffic went by. Finally, a road truck found us. He called for help. About thirty minutes later a wrecker came and pulled us to a garage. I called Dr. Kortemeier who had been expecting me that afternoon. He made my date with Dr. Dobbie for the next afternoon. On our way to Chicago we had trouble with the brake drum on our right back wheel. That held us up for two hours. By that time a blizzard was making the roads bad. We did not get to Passavant Hospital until 6 p.m. I had called Dr. Dobbie to say we would be late. He left instructions for my care. Finally, seven days after my retina started to tear, I got the attention I needed.

         It was like a repeat of the experience I had with my left eye, only this time it seemed to hurt worse. That could have been because of the nervous state I was in as a result of our trip home. The actual surgery seemed to hurt worse. Dr. Dobbie said he used the laser and a freezing method. He had not used the laser the other time. After surgery Morris went home. I was sick for two days. Morrie and family and Ivan Maier came to see me. Otherwise I was alone. I had a roommate one day.

         After six days I went home but had to return in two weeks. For the next two weeks my eye hurt constantly. The nurse at Dr. Kortemeier's office said I should take Bufferin. Because of bad roads we went back by Amtrak. Dr. Dobbie said my eye was healing, but he didn't sound very encouraging about my sight returning. The third time I went in he dismissed me into Dr. Kortemeier's hands. In December, I asked for a stronger lens for my right eye. Dr. Kortemeier said that would not help any because my retina had suffered deterioration at its center and would never be any better.

         We still had no pastor, so Morris was the only deacon available during the week. There was quite a bit of sickness, and many of our members went to the hospital. They called on Morris to be with them or arrange an anointing. On weekends our other deacon was available to make calls.

         Dunteman, who had bought our dairy farm from Nimtz, wanted to pay off the debt instead of extending payments any longer. So the three parties concerned, and our lawyers, met and made the sale final. Because the penalty for breaking the contract had been paid, we no longer had any control over the farm. We were glad to have it entirely out of our hands. But we did not look forward to paying the IRS the next year!

         In May, when we went to the cabin, Ray and Hazel Firebaugh with their trailer came to visit us from Minnesota. They stayed four days. On July 4th, there was a bad cyclone-like storm, which did much damage to our trees at the cabin but did not hurt the building. It blew the tops out of those tall pines. When we went up in August we found a jungle of twisted and broken trees. Morris worked all week sawing and piling brush. Then Morrie and family came to help. While Morrie was helping, his leg was cut with the chain saw. Joyce and I rushed him to the clinic in Spooner. His blood pressure went way down, but the clinic took good care of him.

         June 19, our congregation called Reverend Fabrico Guzman to be our pastor. But he and his wife and children Martha and Peter could not come until August. So we had to find a pulpit supply for six weeks more. We managed it well, and the enthusiasm of the congregation kept up pretty well. We also had to buy a parsonage which we found at 741 W. Homer for $28,500. On Sunday, November 27, we had a mortgage burning at church. The new educational building was paid for.

         Morris and Douglas renewed the appearance of our north barn on the Brandt farm. They painted the roof aluminum and put in good windows and painted the south side red. The rest of the barn they hired painted for $480 by Mr. Vance.

         June 29, Ruth and Charles Luther came for a short visit. They could stay only one night.

         July 7, we left on Lillian Griffith's tour to the North West Canadian Mountains. Besserts were on the same tour. By July 10, we were in Glacier National Park. We had a mini bus tour on the "Going to the Sun" highway. The weather was very cool?50 degrees. We stayed a day and one half in Calgary, seeing the Great Stampede. We enjoyed it in spite of rain while we were in the amphitheater. We were prepared with plastic wraps in my tote bag. At Banff we got a letter from Douglas, which made us feel good. We took a cable car ride up Sulphur Mountain. The scenery was very beautiful. Then we had lunch at the beautiful hotel at Lake Louise. That was real style!

Jerry & Ardis MacAdam, Ann & Ralph Hauger and Us

         At the Columbian Ice Fields we got a ride out over the Athabasca Glacier. It was scary in spots. July we got back into the U.S. again, staying overnight at Wenatchee, Washington, the "Apple Capitol of the World." At Mt. Ranier National Park we got a beautiful view of the mountain. North of Seattle we got a boat to Vancouver Island. We toured Victoria and Butchardt Gardens. The Gardens were breathtaking?so beautiful. July 18 we received another letter from Douglas at Coeur D'Alene. It was good to hear from home. At Wall's Drug Store in South Dakota we got coffee for 5 cents and a roll for 30 cents. That was an interesting place. We were home by July 22.

         Two days later Galen and Thelma came for lunch. They were on their way home from taking the very same tour, only on their own. Douglas and family left the next day to back pack in the Wind River Range.

         When Douglas' got home, he took on a project to build an alcove in his kitchen to put in a cook stove. He broke through the kitchen wall into the garage and used enough room out of the garage to make the alcove. He had bought a used cook stove in very good condition. It worked well, and they get very good service from it.

         August 30, the Freeport teachers went on strike again. There was a bad feeling between the superintendent and school board and the teachers. After seven days, the teachers gave in and really gained nothing and lost some pay besides.

         August 21, Ione MacAdam died of a heart attack.

         September 11, Steven had an appendectomy.

         November 19, President Sadat of Egypt went to Israel to talk peace. It was a brave and historical gesture.





         After sending off our IRS report, we left on January 18 for LaVerne California to house-sit. Through Ralph making a contact with Mr. and Mrs. Manford Newcomer, we made arrangements with them to stay in their house while they went to Phoenix for a month to do volunteer work. This sounded like a rare opportunity. We would have a place to live and didn't have to pull our trailer.

         On the road in Iowa we met up with Ray and Hazel Firebaugh pulling their trailer to Texas. We got into snow, but it did not last very long. We stopped at Teeter's in Tucson overnight. We got to Ralph's January 22. He introduced us to the Newcomers. We liked them and their home. Our agreement was to pay them $100 for the month, send them their mail each week, keep flowers watered and yard mowed and house clean. Their location was ideal. It was across the street from the university, which was owned by the Church of the Brethren. It was a short walk to the church, to Ralph's and to the LaVerne Retirement Home where most of our friends and relatives lived. Newcomers left the next day.

         We bought groceries and moved in. There was always something to do. We visited friends and entertained them in our home. We went to parties, class and church activities, and drove to the mountains for picnics. Morris' sister and husband in Torrance had us over there every week. They were 56 miles to the west across mountains and by the ocean. Then Kate and Harold came to visit us and see the sights in our area. Charles and Vera Johansen had relatives in LaVerne, too, so they decided it was a good time to visit them. We were all together at a couple places during the few days the Johansens were in LaVerne. One Sunday, Morris and I entertained twelve in our home for a chili supper. During one visit with Kate and Harold, we toured the Universal Studios and the Berea Tar Pits. That was interesting and educational. We also boarded the Queen Mary and shopped there. That year California got lots of rain. It hailed one day. I watched the university students playing in the hail, which was about two inches deep before it melted. They would run and flop down as if they were on a sled, but slide on their stomach. I had fun watching them. We will never forget how much we enjoyed that month of "house-sitting." Ralph, Ann and Morris and I went to San Diego to visit Jennie Sue Brumbaugh Garcia and her family. They had two girls then. We stayed overnight. We had hoped to see Jenny's parents, John and Velma Brumbaugh, but they were away driving a Mayflower truck. On our way we visited the Lion's Safari. In San Diego we spent a day at the zoo. We also saw Sea World. On our way back to LaVerne we ate at Lawrence Welk's restaurant. We left LaVerne March 1. We stopped at Art and Doris Teeter's on our way home. They took us to Mexico and to visit two missions. In Dallas we visited Webster and Twila and their children. On our road home in Kansas we got on icy spots and almost got hurt when our car had a spinout. For more than an hour, traffic could not move, even the road trucks with sand stopped until the temperature melted the ice somewhat. We were glad to get home March 8.

         Sunday, March 12, 1978, at church council Douglas and Audrey were elected deacons for two and one half years and Larry and Sandy Lindstrom for one and one half years.

         In April, Morris and I took a defensive driving course.

         Also in April the senate ratified the Panama Canal treaty, which seemed the right thing to do, I thought.

         May 16, when we got to the cabin we were shocked at what we found. A great part of our woods had burned. We learned that in a storm a tree had blown down on the high line and started a fire in the pines. The DNR with big machinery plowed furrows around our cabin and toilet to spare them. We were very discouraged. We didn't know how to clean up the mess because of all the trees that were burned. If we would live there permanently we could have asked for government help to cut and saw the burned trees into lumber. Morris sawed the burned trees down and just left them lay. When he got tired we went fishing.

         May 28, Michele and five others were baptized by Reverend Guzman.

         June 1, first class mail cost 15 cents.

         June 11, we went to Racine to see the opera "Hansel and Gretel" because Susie was one of the singers.

         June 12, Douglas and Audrey and girls went to St. Cloud, Minnesota for him to study a course in photography.

         At the Dairy Day celebration this year, the Harlem Helpers 4-H club got first place worth $22. It was a window display in a store, and Michele helped make it.

         June 24, Morris and I went to Sterling where we joined Hazel and Truman Lapp in celebrating the 50th year anniversary of our high school graduating class of 1928. There were 52 class members there out of the original 92. Lloyd and Ruth had planned to come, but his health did not permit it.

Fiftyth Anniversary of Sterling High School Class of 1928

        When we were at the cabin in July, Ray and Hazel Firebaugh came with their trailer again. Their grandson, Matthew, came along. I was able to get some Wisconsin blueberries canned this time. The men enjoyed a lot of fishing.

         When we got home, we found that Morrie had sent us the second volume of his book, "Perspectives on Energy." I only wish I could understand more of it.

         Mrs. Carlisle of the Journal Standard had heard of my hobby of raising ginseng. She wanted to come out with the photographer for pictures and some facts about ginseng. Too bad the picture was not in color, because the plants were loaded with bright red balls of seeds.

          Clarence and Alice Bittner and we took our trailers to the Mississippi Palisades Park in August, to camp. Lightning struck a big hickory tree at Douglas' place while we were gone. It also knocked out the well pump. He had to get a new one for $900.

         September 17, 1978, should go down in history, because it was then that President Carter, Prime Minister Begin of Israel and President Sadat of Egypt together at the Camp David Summit worked out a plan for peace between Egypt and Israel who had always been enemies.

         Archie Pulvermacher at Richland Center, Wisconsin said he would buy my ginseng. We dug 78 roots and dried them. They weighed 15 ounces for which I got $42.

         In late summer my clothes dryer, which was the only one I ever had, finally wore out. Morris bought a used one, made by Sears, at a household sale to replace the old one.

         In October, Jim Minnich's were visiting Eikenberry's in Rockford. We stopped in to see them on our way to the covered bridge festival with our trailer. We spent five days of resting and hiking there in Indiana. The quilting show and photography show were especially interesting.

         In November, Joyce had serious surgery. It was a complicated hysterectomy. But her doctor said the surgery was sufficient with no danger of cancer. Later we went up to check on her recuperating and to give Susie a delayed birthday present. It was a toy stove that Morris had made into a lamp.

         The day before Thanksgiving, Morris and Douglas went to the cabin to saw down more trees, because we planned to set out a thousand seedlings in the spring. On Thanksgiving Day, after they were through sawing, they were guests of Oscar Mahmood and wife Helen. I was alone all day! Douglas called Audrey to tell her of their work. They came home two days after Thanksgiving.

         On November 24, and for a whole week and longer, we heard on TV about the horrible mass suicide that had taken place in Gyana, South America, at Jonestown. A congressman who went there for information had been killed too. The final count was 910 bodies. This group led by Jim Jones had started as a religious group or sect. Jim Jones had become insane, and the people were trapped and did not know how to get out.

         On December 9, Douglas got a deer.

         When it came time to put up a Christmas tree and decorations we did something I had never thought I would do. I agreed to get an artificial tree. It got to be no fun getting a natural one. We all spent Christmas Day in Racine with Joyce, Morrie, Steven and Susie. We were glad Joyce was feeling much better.





         We had no plans to go to a warmer climate this winter. Since this was the year of our 45th wedding anniversary, we were planning to tour Alaska in July. As it turned out we had more snow and blizzards here at home than we could ever remember. Schools were closed and meetings canceled because of being snow bound. By February, we had more than 63 inches of snow. Douglas got a woodburning stove, inserting it into their fireplace. That proved to be a good investment for them. In May we bought one just like theirs and put it into our fireplace in our living room.

         On January 16, an action took place that could be said to change some of the history of the U.S. The Shah of Iran and his wife left Iran. He was our friend, and so the U.S. worried about our supply of oil. Civil war in Iran was anticipated. It was not long until a radical Islam leader, Komeni, went back to Iran from exile in France. He hated the U.S. The Shah had cancer and came to the U.S. for treatment. Later, he went to an island off the coast of Panama to live.

         On November 5, Iran took 59 Americans hostage. Iran wanted us to deliver the Shah to them. We would not. President Carter froze all of Iran's assets in the United States. The United Nations discussed the situation and asked Iran to release the hostages. They left some go but kept most of them, which they said they would hold indefinitely.

         Webster and Twila moved back to Freeport. Their daughter Janet Rutter and family were moving to Seattle, so they had no reason to stay in Dallas.

         An article came out in our Journal Standard about Morrie getting a sabbatical leave from Parkside University. He was moving with his family to Oak Ridge, Tennessee, in August to do research and study in nuclear energy.

         I was spending many hours this winter in our basement working on scrapbooks. I had saved material that I considered important for years. When I quit on them for spring work, I counted sixteen that I had completed up to that time. Morris had taken up a woodwork project at a class that the college was offering during the winter. Morris decided to make a grandfather's clock out of our own walnut wood. He bought the brass inner workings for $290. It keeps good time and is beautiful.

         Our nephew, Dan Hauger of LaVerne, was a high school graduate and was riding with John Brumbaugh who was a Mayflower truck driver. When in Indianapolis in the spring, John got sick. He had to have an appendectomy. Dan came by bus to Rockford and spent time with us and friends of former years when he lived in our area.

         Dena was always a good speller. Even in first grade she was a winner. In 1979 she was the winner in her class, and the finals were broadcast over the radio. She stayed in until there were only four left. We were proud of her.

         In April, Ralph had a heart attack and was in intensive care. I kept in touch by phone. By May 5, he was better and went home but was limited in activity. In August he was well enough to fly out to Freeport. We were glad to see him and Ann and to know he had regained his health. At church a new speaker-system was installed by Custom Electronics of Freeport. Also, the old house east of the church was torn down to use that area for a parking lot.

         Morris and I went to our cabin on Arbor Day to plant 1000 pine seedlings. Douglas and family came later to help on Saturday. They completed the job, and we all went home because it was too cold to fish. Morris and I went back up in May to build a cement block chimney against the outside wall for our stovepipe to extend into. We felt this was safer than just extending the stovepipe alone outside the wall as we had been doing.

         President Carter signed Salt II Treaty about arms control with Breshnev of Russia. Our Congress was critical from the start and never ratified it, which was a great loss.

         Our plans were completed by June for our Alaskan tour following Annual Conference in Seattle, Washington. We had our reservations, airplane tickets and luggage tags. July 3, Douglas and Audrey took us to Rockford to get the bus to O'Hare Airport. We had to wait there from 10:45 a.m. to 3:20 p.m. to get a flight out because the DC-10 airplanes were grounded at that time. We made it to Annual Conference late that evening but in time for the moderator's address. Our hotel reservations were for a room on the tenth floor of the Kennedy Hotel, which was five blocks from the monorail. For a dime apiece, Morris and I rode it to Conference each day in five minutes. Our hotel also furnished us each morning with a complementary breakfast. We enjoyed the conference, seeing many friends and getting inspirational messages. We went up the space needle and ate lunch in the revolving restaurant. In one hour it made a complete circle. We got a wonderful view of Seattle. Our tour leader called us together for instructions and to give us our ship tickets to return on the Inland Passage.

         Monday July 9, (Morris' birthday), we arrived by air in Anchorage, Alaska, and got a room on the 16th floor of the Hilton. We went on a sightseeing tour next day, first along the south shore, seeing glaciers and riding a ski lift. Then back to Anchorage to Earth Quake Park where we learned about the damage and saw some of the results of the 1964 earth quake there. The next day we rode in the observation car of the train all day to Mt. McKinley Park where a letter was awaiting us from Douglas. That was a joy.

Eating Lunch Near Mt. McKinley

         We were making new friends?Mildred and Clinton Heckert and John and Ada Gingrich. We got up early the next morning to get a sight seeing bus to Mt. McKinley. The bus driver was a good guide, pointing out moose, grizzly bears, caribou, Dahl sheep and ground squirrels. The tour even furnished us with box lunches. At noon we ate our lunch while sitting on the ground and viewing THE MOUNTAIN. Very beautiful! We were told that we were very privileged because many come and cannot see it because of fog. Naturally, we took pictures. Back at the park we saw Eskimo dogs demonstrating pulling sleds. Then we boarded the train for Fairbanks. We ate on the train a Salmon lunch for $20. When we arrived in Fairbanks at 10:30 p.m. it was still light enough for me to take pictures of the town as I looked out the window. There was only about four hours of darkness and that wasn't very dark.

         Next day our sight seeing included the gas pipeline and heard about the permafrost. We took a Stern Wheeler trip on the Chino River. From Fairbanks we were on a bus for twelve and one half hours going east over mountains to Dawson City, capitol of the Yukon Territory of Canada. This place was a mess. The Yukon and Klondike rivers merged here. When the ice melted in the spring and piled up here the town was flooded. It still was not dried out. Only the second floor of the hotel where we were booked was usable. Our group was divided. Two-thirds of it had to sleep in primitive rooms, elsewhere in a town of one thousand. But we were promised a refund of $25. Heckerts, Gingrichs and we agreed and were given small clean rooms above a tavern. The next day we toured the "gold-rush" area. We learned how it was one hundred years ago. That night we stayed in the Robert Service Motel.

         Sunday afternoon there was a church service lead by three of our group who were ministers of the Church of the Brethren. We were given the use of the Methodist Sanctuary. Later we went to a program of Robert Service poetry in the yard of the cabin where he lived when he was in Dawson City and wrote his poetry. The Jack London cabin was still there too. In the evening we went to an old time theater for entertainment called "Gas Follies." The third day we left Dawson City for White Horse by bus. On the way we had a lunch furnished by the tour on the shores of the Yukon River. We traveled down the old gold rush trail to Skagway. There we learned our plane trip to Juneau was grounded. We were "socked in" and had to wait for a boat to take us. We were many hours late. We did not get to tour Juneau at all. It was mid-night when we boarded our boat, the Veendam. They had to wait for us.

The Veendam we took from Skagway to Vancouver

         That big boat was a new experience for us. Food was available all the time, but for the evening meal we were assigned a table in the big dining room. There was a fire drill with life jackets and going to the life boats. Our room was on the navigation deck. It was easy to get lost on the boat. The first evening we had the Captain's Party and a formal dinner. The second day we went to Sitka by leaving the Veendam and getting into a smaller powerboat called a "tender." We took pictures even though it was raining. When the weather was fit we stayed on open deck to watch the glaciers. Sometimes big pieces would break off with a loud noise and float away. This was called "calving." We were on the boat three and one half days. At Vancouver we got off and took the bus to Victoria and the Butchart Gardens again. We stayed at the beautiful Empress Hotel. There we were glad to get another letter from Douglas.

         By July 22 we were back in a hotel on the edge of the Seattle airport, having ridden three hours on a ferry from Vancouver and 90 miles by bus. For ourselves, we brought back a wall hanging of Alaskan mountain Dahl sheep. We brought some beautiful calendars for our children. The next day we were home by 5:15 p.m.. It had been a worry-free, educational and interesting trip.

         In August, we went to Racine to help the children get ready for the professor who would be living in their house and to get a few other things packed which they would take to Oak Ridge.

         Governor Thompson signed a bill in August that raised the drinking age to 21 years in Illinois.

         Stuart Kaufman came to our place from Elgin at our request to talk about giving our home place of 15 acres to the Church of the Brethren Board in Elgin. We decided to deed it to them and start proceedings. We would have life control. Mr. Keith Wise and Mr. Carlson were the appraisers. We rented the home place at this time to Bud Daterman's again.

         We had to do a lot of cleaning and redecorating of the place. Bud volunteered to help paint.

         On our way to the cabin in September we stopped at Richland Center to sell some ginseng seed. I had three ounces and got $9.37. I bought myself a new wristwatch with the $42 of ginseng money I had received for the roots.

         By October we were anxious to see how Morrie and family were doing in Tennessee. They had rented a nice home on the side of a high hill. They had also rented all the furniture. Morrie was doing fine with his study and meetings. Joyce was trying to find a teaching position. Later, she got one as a teacher's aid. Both Steven and Susan were in Junior High. We went on a picnic to the Smoky Mt. National Park, and then saw Cades Cove and Clingman's Dome. On our way home Morris and I stopped at the Covered Bridge Festival for a little while. I bought a pattern for a covered bridge pillow.

         We sold our chicken brooder house for $250.

         Thanksgiving Day we spent with Ivan and Minerva Maier in Lombard. Joyce and family were not there. They planned to come home at Christmas time. They also wanted to check on their home in Racine at that time.





         Douglas and Audrey bought a new color TV, so we were invited to their home this year to watch the Rose Parade and eat lunch.

         President Carter cut off grain sales to Russia by the U.S. He thought he would punish Russia this way for invading Afganhistan. But it was the American farmers who were punished by not having a market for their grain. Russia easily bought the grain it needed from other countries.

         Early in January we left with our trailer to do volunteer work with a disaster unit in Jackson, Mississippi. A very destructive flood had destroyed many homes. Linda Stone was in charge of finding a place for the volunteers to live. She had a place for our trailer in a parking lot of the Northminster Baptist church in Jackson. We had our headquarters in a house by the parking lot. This house was used for some of the Baptist Sunday School classes. There were eight men, all Brethren, who were from Minnesota, another man and wife and one year old baby from Iowa and two women and one man from another denomination, all living in this house. This wife from Iowa was supposed to help me cook for these workers, but she spent most of her time playing with her baby boy. I had to buy the food and serve three meals a day. The people of Jackson were very cooperative and appreciative.

         They brought in baked goods, a big beef roast, a ham roast, salads and desserts. There was an interfaith organization that supported Linda Stone, and she managed to give all the churches a chance to help that way and pay for the groceries I bought. The men divided into groups of three or four. Their work was mainly to clean mud and debris out of the damaged homes and rebuild and redecorate so the family could move back into their home. The government had loaned them trailers to live in while they fixed up their home, but many did not have money, health, or the ability to do anything for themselves. Time was running out for them to vacate the trailers and for the government to remove the trailers.

         We worked there for five days and then we moved on to Mobile, Alabama, and other volunteers came to take our place. At Mobile a powerful tornado had destroyed or damaged many homes. Randy and Sandy Hosler were a young Brethren couple in charge of the disaster unit there. Sunday was our first day there, so they took us to Citronelle to attend a Church of the Brethren. We met people in Church that we had known formerly in Elgin. There was the beginning of a retirement settlement there because the weather was very pleasant all year. Randy showed the damage and what needed to be done. Morris and Randy put a new roof on a widow's home. She was black. No one had bothered to help this widow because she had no money or insurance or family. Another elderly couple needed to have their home repaired to give them protection from the weather. These poor people were very grateful for the help. Other volunteers were coming to help, so we left to go south to Lakeland, FL. After visiting Galen and Thelma, we went to Sebring to attend a M. C. reunion.

         Clarence and Alice Bittner had written that they were in a trailer court in Wabasso, FL. We found them, and since there was a vacant spot to camp there we took it and stayed six days. Then we went to Highland Hammocks Park. John and Ada Gingrich were camped near by. We were together for picnics or hikes almost every day. After eight days, Morris and I went to the Everglades and found a nice camping spot in Long Pine Key. On our way we got gas and had to pay $1.36 a gallon, which we thought was awful high.

         By the middle of February we started home. We stopped at Fort Myers to visit the Gordons. We were glad we did because Walter died later in 1980. We also toured Edison's home again. We find his life very inspiring. We went home through Atlanta, Georgia. From Stone Mountain campgrounds we called Joyce at Oak Ridge. She said we could easily get to their home the next day. We got there by 2:30 p.m. We got snowed in at their place and stayed five days, leaving the morning of March 3. We were glad to get home safely having traveled 4,700 miles in eight weeks.

         First thing we heard about the church was that Reverend Guzman had resigned, and Morris was appointed on a pastoral search committee.

Cabin Remains after April 22, 1980 Fire

         Mrs. Dery, our neighbor on Island Lake, called on April 23, 1980, saying that the day before there had been a terrible forest fire that completely destroyed our cabin and 78 other homes in that area. We were sick with shock. We called our insurance company in Spooner. Their investigator called back the next day to say that ours was a complete loss. Years later we are still remembering and missing some of the things of value which were lost when that little cabin burned. We all agreed we felt the loss of the "Cabin Log" was the greatest. That was a history of the cabin from the first year we owned it. The visits of each family and friends had all been recorded. Both families of our children wanted a new cabin built. So we all started going to yard sales and buying or contributing things for use in the new cabin. Morris and I volunteered to give our 30-inch electric stove and refrigerator. We bought a breakfast table and four chairs and gave a complete double bed too. We had to buy a boat too because our other had melted in the fire.

         We went to Island Lake May 12, stopping at Shell Lake to get a building permit. We learned we had to have a "perc" test even though we were not going to have indoor plumbing. That required following special specifications for building a toilet. We took our Shasta trailer to live in while we were getting ready for the cement foundation and floor slab. I can't begin to describe the sad sight of burned and fallen trees and some dead but still standing. Each step stirred up ashes and black charred dirt, which made a person need a bath after just a short walk. A few pine trees were spared in the narrow space between the cabin area and the lake. But all of our pier had been burned. The electric line was down and still live. I stepped on it but was fortunate to not be electrocuted. Sparks flew and burned a few wisps of dead grass. We called the electric company to bring in electricity temporarily until the cabin was built. They declined until Morris told them of this neglect in letting a live wire lay exposed and liable for an accident. They were agreeable then!

         Almost all the newly planted seedlings were burned except a few near the lake. Our cement block chimney, which we had built the year before, was in good shape. The wind had blown the worst of the heat away from it. Morris was determined to use it for the new cabin. So we hired Max Claton to start on the cement. Morris built the toilet. For the cabin foundation and floor slab, a big truck came in with nine yards of cement. They used eight and three fourths and the rest was used for a little porch in front of the cabin reaching to the pump. We had to buy a new pump. We paid Clayton $768. He also hauled away all the burned refuse.

         We rescued our iron frying pan, which Pearl Bessert later rejuvenated, and we use it in the new cabin. Also the barrel stove we set aside and covered with plastic hoping to try to get it usable. Morris put up a Martin house, and we were delighted a few days later to get Martins in it. May 22, Morris and I went back to Freeport leaving our trailer by the lake. When we got home an insurance check was there for $4,000. Morris and Douglas went to Fishes Lumber Company in Monroe to buy fifty sheets of paneling and electric wiring and fixtures. Our new cabin was to measure 16' X 24' with two bedrooms. May 28, we borrowed Terry O'Neals trailer and loaded it with all our equipment. It was a heavy load. We had it covered well, because we started out in the rain, and we had several days of rain while we were building. We stopped in Spooner to order lumber from the ABC Builders. We also took out a $10,000 homeowners policy with the insurance company in Spooner.

Morris Fishing after the Fire
Morris with Nice Northern Pike

         May 30, Douglas and Audrey came at 7:30 p.m. They got most of the studs up yet that evening. The next day they had the cabin enclosed and half the roof had tarpaper on. Audrey worked with the men. I cooked, made telephone calls and served snacks and cool aid. Our neighbors were very anxious to help by loaning tools or the use of their phone. It seemed we were first to rebuild of any of the fire victims. In another day the roof was shingled, and the cabin enclosed in celotex and some electric wiring done. Then the paneling was done which made it look nice. The front half of the inside had a cathedral ceiling with a small attic over the bedrooms. There is also a fan in that attic for circulation in hot weather. In six days the outside siding was all on and we were waiting for two windows.

         Douglas was able to buy a complete door, screen door and doorframe. Morris and I got 40 yards of carpet from Spooner's carpet store at $4 a yard. We had to hire an electrician to bring the wire from the pole to the meter box on the outside of the cabin and connect to the fuse box on the inside. Our neighbors, Helen and Oscar Mahmood, gave us a set of four oven-use bowls as a house warming gift.

         On June 7, our 46th wedding anniversary, we had a party. We invited the Mahmoods and the Derys. Helen brought a beautiful large bouquet of peonies and iris. We were happy that our cabin was built even though we still had some finishing touches. Ivan and Minerva called saying they wanted to help with a check. We were thankful for their $175 check, which took care of the carpeting. During the summer Douglas and family went back twice. Joyce, Steve, Susan, Ivan and Minerva went once.

         Morris and I went to the cabin twice more that year. We got the old barrel stove, welded its front legs, got new pipe for it and polished the rust away, and it works fine! That made us feel good?sort of a tie in with the cabin we had lost. Morris had to buy lumber to make a new pier. The lake was very low that year. On our last trip to close the cabin we went to the cranberry festival at Stone Lake. That was good eating and an interesting experience.

         Before school closed in May, Douglas received an award of $100 as the outstanding chemistry teacher of this area. He and Audrey were invited to Rockford to attend a banquet there. Dena also won the spelling contest in Douglas School.

         Iran was still holding our hostages. It seemed no reasoning could persuade the Iranians to release our people. President Carter in desperation tried a rescue mission, but three helicopters broke down, we lost eight men and the mission was canceled. Our Secretary of State, Cyrus Vance, resigned because he was against using military force to get the hostages back. The Shah died while he was a guest of Sadat of Egypt.

         Morris and I had to get a new stove and refrigerator when we got home from building the cabin. We bought an almond-color, thirty-inch electric stove and frost free refrigerator, both Hot Point, for $810.

         The pastoral search committee in consultation with Carl Myers asked Reverend Paul Haworth to come to Freeport for a visit and to preach. Morris and I met him in Rockford on June 13. There was a family picnic that evening at Earl and Mildred Farringer's. Paul and Virginia were our guests at the picnic. They stayed overnight with Virginia's brother in Freeport. Sunday p.m. at a council meeting Paul got a unanimous call to be our pastor. We hoped they could move into Freeport in August. Reverend Guzman seemed to be having trouble finding a pastorate. He did not get out of the parsonage until September 8. Volunteers worked steadily redecorating the parsonage, and we were able to move the Haworths in by September 18. By council action Douglas and Audrey were elected to the office of deacon for four years.

Wades and Firebaughs at "Hauger Reunion", October 1980

         It was good to go to Racine again to see Morrie and family after they moved back from Oak Ridge. In July, we all went to Lombard to help Ivan and Minerva Maier celebrate their golden wedding anniversary.

         In October, Morris arrowed a deer, and during shotgun season in November he shot one.

         Galen and Thelma came in October, so we planned a Hauger reunion at our church. The families who came were Wades, Summers, Haugers, Myers, Coys, and Firebaughs?27 in all.

         November 4 was the date of the presidential election. I voted for President Carter, but he lost. I thought Reagan would make a dumb president. He couldn't seem to get facts straight and didn't care if he told the truth or not. He sounded so militaristic that one could easily believe he thought the only way to solve the communist problem was to kill them all instead of trying to find ways to live together. Many of us expected him to get us into war.

         At Thanksgiving, the Maiers came and stayed overnight because of icy roads. The next morning we all ate breakfast at the Sirloin Stockade. We had our family Christmas December 27 with Audrey and family. The boys gave their dad a pair of skis. I got a Mr. Coffee and a canning kettle.





         We spent New Years Day watching the Rose Parade with Douglas, Audrey and girls. After the first game we came home. Morris had bought an exercise bicycle for me because in winter I don't like to go outdoors for exercise.

         Audrey started working at the tax office January 5. I made four quilts for relief and the bazaar our Women's Fellowship was planning. Lona Kinney and Arlene Cook helped tie the quilts. Morris joined the woodworking class at the college. He made a hutch and buffet for our dining room. He used our own oak wood. It is very pretty and useful.

         Douglas was on the Camp Emmaus Board. Their project for this year was to winterize the retreat lodge and enlarge it to make it more useful during the cold months. Since Douglas knew what needed to be done, he and his Dad spend many hours and days down there during the year. When they were not down there, they were working near home in the woods at different places where someone wanted fallen trees cleared away. Our men sawed the wood for fireplaces or wood burning stoves. As a result, we had plenty of firewood stored for our own use and to satisfy friends who wanted to buy it.

         There was a lot of talk just before the presidential inauguration about the hostages and what Iran required for their release. After Reagan became president, the same day, Iran released the hostages. They had been held captive 444 days. Iran took that way for revenge on President Carter. But President Reagan immediately sent Carter to Germany to greet the hostages when they arrived there as their first stop. Later in the U.S. they were given a huge welcome.

         On the 30th of March an attempt was made to assassinate President Reagan. Several others were shot, too. Mr. Brady was hurt permanently. Of course he will be cared for at public expense as long as he needs it. The assassin was declared insane, so he is being taken care of in a minimum-security place with tax dollars, too!

         One of the first things President Reagan did was to send advisors into San Salvador. He claimed the communists were going to get that country. Even our ambassador in San Salvador did not agree about that. He said the trouble was that the population was rebelling against the dictatorial rule of the rich regime which persisted in unfair and selfish demands. Of course that ambassador was relieved of his position, and one who agreed with Reagan was appointed. President Carter had stayed out of their trouble pretty much. Many people in the U.S. believed that Reagan would favor the side of the rich rulers in power. All these rulers had to do was to tell Reagan that the communists were stirring up the "peasants" and Reagan would want to send help to keep the dictators in power.

         In March, Morris got sick to his stomach. We thought it was his ulcer again. He would not go to his doctor. It lasted through April, and he began losing blood.

         Morris wanted to plant more pine seedlings at the cabin. So in April we went to Hayward, Wisconsin and bought 1,000 seedlings. Douglas and family came up after school on Friday and the next day everybody planted trees but me. I got meals, tended the fire and took pictures. They got them all planted and even sawed down some more dead trees.

         We joined with Jim Kerchner in tiling our north field on the Brandt farm. On May 2, Dena and family went to Rock Falls where she received an author's certificate given by the state for excellence in schoolwork. Michele was inducted into National Honor Society that month too. Both girls were straight "A" students.

         On May 5, 1981, I passed my driver's test. Since I would be 70 years old this year, I had to take all three tests. I had been very concerned about it. I had never taken a test with an examiner riding along.

         Morris was not getting better. After an office call to Dr. Phillips he entered the hospital for tests and an examination. A soft lump was found bleeding in his colon. Next day we learned it was a cancer and surgery was scheduled in four days. Morris came home to get some necessary things done. He went to the hospital Saturday afternoon. On Sunday Morrie and family came down. Joyce stayed with me while the rest went back to Racine. Morris that day gave me an Olympus Camera for my birthday. Sunday evening Pastor Paul, Earl and Mildred Farringer conducted an anointing for healing service for Morris at the hospital. Joyce and I were there too.

         Monday, May 10, early in the morning Joyce and I hurried to the hospital. Pastor Paul, Audrey and Joyce sat with me during the surgery. Dr. Phillips told us he was quite sure he had cut out all the cancer when he took out five inches of the colon. Morris did not have to have a colostomy for which we were all thankful. Also, the Dr. said chemotherapy was not necessary. Morris had much pain and tubes in him. Even so, he insisted I go ahead with a Men's Fellowship party that he had planned for and was to be held at our home the next night. Clinton Heckert from Elgin was to give the program on "Dinosaurs." Mildred and her sister came along. There were eleven men here. Joyce helped me serve dessert. She stayed with me until Morrie came for her on Wednesday. Dad still had lots of pain and tubes. On the sixth day the last tubes were removed. He could talk and breathe better and his throat was not so sore. I was glad I had my driver's license. I could visit him whenever I wanted to.

         Douglas helped me at home. The roof on the chicken house partly blew off. He fixed that. He mowed our lawn with the riding mower, and as he was going under a plum tree a branch rammed into his ear. Because of pain, he had to see the ear doctor next day. He removed a little twig.

         Morris came home May 20. We felt we had much for which to be thankful. God had answered our prayers so wonderfully. Our cancer insurance policy was a great help. Morris heard from friends and relatives all over the country who had him in their prayers. Dr. Phillips dismissed Morris June 8.

         On June 12 we went to the cabin, taking Steven with us. We had car trouble with the gas line. The car gave us trouble, stopping any time, without a reason we could find. For six weeks we spent about $200, trying to find the trouble. Finally Morris had the gas tank removed and cleaned. Then we had no more trouble.

         Friends and relatives visited us during the summer. Lloyd and Ruth Hauger from Harlingen, Texas and Art and Doris Teeter from Tucson came the farthest. Doris and Art stayed several days, and she made bread and rolls which we always greeted with a good appetite.

         July 29, 1981, Prince Charles and Lady Diana were married in England. I got up early to see it on TV. That was one of the prettiest sights I'll ever see of a wedding. They seemed so "right" for each other.

         August 3, the air controllers of the airports went on strike. Webster's son-in-law, Bob Rutter in Seattle, was one of them. The strike was declared illegal. Most of them lost their jobs when others were hired to take their place.

         Since Joyce did not get a school to teach, she took a position in the new Boston store in the new Mall in Racine. She left her job at Christmas because of the attitude of her boss.

Douglas, Edsel Langdon and Two Students with JETS Award

         Dena came over often during the year, since Audrey and Michele were working all summer, and her father and his dad had work to do at Camp Emmaus many days. Douglas often got a carload of volunteers to go down with him. Dena and I went down once to wash woodwork. The ceiling had been painted by spraying and paint had spattered on the woodwork

         The barn buildings at the home place needed painting, so they painted them. So it was a joy to me to have Dena over for visiting or playing card games, watching TV or sewing. She got a latch-hook wall hanging for her birthday.

         The Jets Club that Douglas sponsored received a national recognition as being one of the five best in the nation. An article appeared about it in the Journal Standard.

         In September, we made our last trip for the year to the cabin. The popple saplings were growing like weeds in the burned area. We did not know what to do with them.

         The U.S. got its first lady appointed to the Supreme Court this year. She is Mrs. Sandra O'Connor.

         October 6, President Sadat of Egypt was assassinated. That was a bad deed for the world because Sadat was an active peacemaker.

         Morris was still involved in CROP, and I was still taking care of Meals-on-Wheels. We were both taking our turn teaching our S.S. class.

         Douglas arrowed a deer, and during gun season they each shot a deer.

         Four of our lambs were killed by dogs. There were two dogs running wild at night. The dogcatcher got one, which was our neighbor's. That stopped the killing of our lambs.

         Morris and Joyce got a new Toyota. We were at Maier's for Thanksgiving this year with them.

         All the children were home with us for a turkey dinner on Christmas. I got a seven-piece Silverstone cookware set and a purse. Morris had made an oak top for our dining room table out of our own wood. It is beautiful. It matched the hutch. He also made a hanging lamp.





         I had an eye appointment January 5, with Dr. Kortemeier, but he was not in when I got there so I was sent to Dr. Alberts who had become an associate with Dr. Kortemeier. Dr. Alberts examined my eyes and told me pressure was building up in my right eye. I wanted a new lens for my right eye. I got it the next week, but it did not help as much as I had hoped.

         The winter of 1982 was very cold with a lot of snow, which came in blizzards. Church and other meetings were called off. School took a number of snow days. By February, we were ready to get out of the cold for a couple of weeks. The Greyhound Bus Company was putting on a bargain trip?two could go for the price of one. We got a round trip ticket to California for $384. It was good for thirty days. LaVerne and Torrance were our destination. We left Freeport on February 3. By 6:30 p.m. February 4, we were in Salt Lake City. We decided to stay a day there to visit and rest. We got a nice motel room near the bus depot.

         Morris called his cousin Sally Firebaugh who lived there to visit us at the motel. She came with her daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter. We had a pleasant visit. The next day we spent in Temple Square. We left that evening on the bus for Clairmont, California, where Ralph and Ann met us. We stayed with them in their home while in LaVerne. Ann had a party for us and our relatives, who were all residents in the retirement home there. We enjoyed visiting with them. That was the last time we saw two of them because they passed away the next year.

         Kate and Harold came for us a couple days later and took us to their home in Torrance. We enjoyed time with them and children and grandchildren. Harold and Kate drove to San Juan Capistrano where we had a friend, Florence Dumpman living. Her son had put her in a rest home near him. We had a good visit with Florence. We felt we brought some joy into her life. That was the last visit we would have with her, too. The Mission, with its bells, we always enjoy. We were close to the Crystal Cathedral. We visited it and decided to come back the next day for church service. That is a "one of a kind" place and hard to describe. It is beautiful but oh! So costly! There were 3000 attending the morning service that day! Smith's took us back to Ralph's that afternoon. Ann and Ralph had more company in that evening?friends we knew when they lived here and when our boys were in M.C. We left on February 18, for home. We rode steadily for three days and nights. When we got home we were glad we went but would not plan on another bus trip right away.

         In April, England and Argentina got into war over the Falkland Islands. Argentina had landed soldiers there, saying England no longer owned them because they really belonged to Argentina. England sent soldiers, sailors, boats etc., and landed on St. Georges Island. From there they went ashore on the Falklands and took the Islands back, but it was very costly to England. She lost one of her big battle ships. That proved to the U.S. just how vulnerable those big ships can be. England asked Reagan for help. At first he said he was neutral, but he finally helped some with supplies, etc. It took England until June 18 for Argentina to surrender. A new government came to power, then, in Argentina.

         Michele was accepted at Manchester College starting in the fall. She also received the President's scholarship of $800 for the first year.

         At Camp Emmaus, the volunteers were starting a new large building, calling it the Crafts Building. Morris and I gave $1000 towards Camp Emmaus.

         April 25, there was a dedication of a new church at Carol Stream, Illinois. It was called "Christ's Church of the Brethren." We went with some others of our congregation for the service. We put a check of $1000 in the offering at that service.

Michele Graduates from Freeport High, with Grandparents

         June 1, Michele graduated from high school. She was a straight "A" student and had her picture in the paper for that honor. We gave her an electric typewriter. The graduation program took place on the football field. She looked pretty in her orange color gown. The boys wore black gowns since orange and black were the school colors.

         The Men's fellowship met again at our home, and Clint and Mildred Heckert gave a program on "Cents and Nonsense."

         When we went to visit the children in Racine, Morris helped work on the basement room, which was to become Steve's room. Morris got the electric outlets in place. Morrie was very busy on the program he was responsible for which was to take place in Oregon State on June 22.

         Israel began fighting in Beirut, Lebanon. The situation became dangerous so all nonessential Americans were to come home. Later, there was a terrible massacre there that Israel was blamed for because Israel could have prevented it.

         On June 25, Secretary of State Alexander Haig resigned. He was a "hawk" and very militaristic who had trouble getting along with the cabinet. Reagan started to enforce the registration of young men, even though one of his "sincere" promises during his campaign was to not have such a law except in a "Severe National Emergency." Many C.O. boys were not registering because there was no place on the registration papers for them to claim C.O. standing. Enton Eller, a Church of the Brethren "A" student and graduate of Bridgewater College, was the first to be arrested and sentenced. He must do public service for two years.

         Galen and Thelma paid us a visit from Florida in June. We took them sightseeing. Morris had won a crock-pot cooker when he registered at open house at Mid West Bank. We took them to see the bank and to get our gift. It is very nice.

         Morrie and family were here over July 4th. A German student was staying with them for several weeks, so he was here, too. Vera and Charles had us all there for a picnic that day.

         While we were at our cabin in July, Elmer and Thelma Kaufman came in their motor home to visit a couple days. They had their nice boat, too. Fishing was good. We got a lot of bullheads. After they left we picked blueberries. There were plenty this year.

         This was also the year I learned to play "500."

         While we were gone to the cabin Bud Daterman had a spell with his heart. He had to have a pacemaker surgery again. He told Morris the Dr. said he had to quit gardening and lawn work. He decided they should move to town by September 1. They had a sale in August. We put some stuff on their sale, too, and got $186. I had to put curtains up at the windows when they left so that the house would not look empty to tempt vandals. We were fortunate to rent it to a responsible couple, Dan and Lisa McDermott. But Morris and I were tired of changing occupants so often in that place. We decided to sell it so that somebody who really cared could take it over. We advertised it as a 15-acre "Farmette." On August 12, people by the name of Gary Kubly looked at it and liked it. But they, like the others who came to see it, needed to sell some other property first before they would have the money.

         During four weeks of summer, Douglas and his family were in school at State College, PA. The girls seemed to have a good time exploring the countryside, but Douglas got an "A" for his attention to his studying. We took our trailer to Wichita, Kansas, to attend Annual Conference. We camped in a KOA in the sun. It was a very hot time. During the meetings in the big auditorium we were comfortable. The subject that took up the most time was "What was the Church's attitude on abortion?" That took up almost a whole day and finally was sent back to committee. Our car got hot pulling the trailer. We were glad to get home.

         Audrey had a "going away party" for Michele before she left for M.C.

         About time for Dena to start to Junior High School she had her hair cut and styled. She looked different but still very beautiful. Her Dad had to look twice to recognize her. She also started with an orthodontist working on her teeth. That would be a matter of several years.

         During the summer at the cabin Morris and Douglas had cut some dead red pine into eight-foot logs. Mr. Hartman, living on the road to Spooner had a sawmill as a hobby. He picked up our logs and sawed them into lumber for us. It was ready to bring home. We asked Terry O'Neal to use his trailer to bring the lumber home when we went to the cabin the last time in 1982. Oscar Mahmood, with our permission, cleaned out some of the smaller logs for wood for his furnace.

         Late in September, we joined Lillian's tour to the World's Fair at Knoxville, Tennessee. On our way, we visited the State Horse Farm near Lexington. This is where "Man of War" a famous horse is buried under a life size statue of him. We stayed twenty miles south of Knoxville at Sweetwater, Tenn. We spent two days at the fair. It rained most of the time on the first day, but the second day was nice. We liked the China exhibit the best. We enjoyed the sky ride and the sunsphere and some shows. On our way home we had a guided tour of Nashville. We were very tired when we got home. The next day Jim and Charlotte Minnich from California came to visit and wanted us to have an open house. We made some phone calls and got 16 people here. We also carried meals-on-wheels as soon as we got home from the fair.

         In October, we went with Douglas, Audrey and Dena to Homecoming at M.C. We took a carpet along for Michele's room. It was good to see her and know she was doing well. Morris and I stayed in East Hall. Saturday morning, Morris and I spent with Ruth and Charles Luther. She was my roommate when I was in College. A new large building was being dedicated that a.m. It was for a Physical, Educational, and Recreational Center (PERC). In the evening we went to a play in Cordier Auditorium.

         In the fall of 1982 our Women's Fellowship had quite a successful bazaar. We made $1200. At council meeting our congregation decided to sell our parsonage. Pastor Paul and Virginia had purchased a home of their own on Demeter Drive. He wanted to be partially retired and arrangements were made for that.

         At the fall election, a lot of Democrats got into office. We wondered if Reagan would get the message. The Nuclear Freeze movement was very strong. We went to some programs and films on it. Wisconsin had a referendum on it and it passed easily. Many other states did the same, but Reagan did not get the message. He wanted to put MX missiles in "dense pack" silos in Wyoming.

         In November we bought a dark brown 1982 LTD Ford from Art Hauger for $9414 and our car.

         At Thanksgiving, Maier's were here with the rest of our family for turkey and trimmings. We had our family Christmas with Joyce and family. All of us were interested in Morrie's computer. The grandchildren especially had fun with it.