We had a hard time trying to decide what to do with the dairy farm. We advertised in "Prairie Farmer" and "Hoard's Dairyman" and "Freeport Journal Standard." We consulted with Mr. Rimington concerning each applicant that Morris and I were a little interested in. Each would have to borrow money so Rimington had reason to be concerned too. So we decided to rent the farmhouse until we found a farm renter. Morris bought several more cows to replace the ones sold at Steinhouser's sale. Also he bought some machinery since it looked like we would have to farm by ourselves.

        We had 76 sheep for Duane Bell to shear this year.

        Douglas and Audrey in February bought a house on South High in Freeport.

        In March, I learned from Dr. Kortemeier that I was getting cataracts on both eyes. I bought new glasses, which helped some.

        March 28th, the day before Easter, there was a very bad earthquake in Anchorage, Alaska.

        Lorraine Flack came to inquire about farming our dairy farm. They were getting married as soon as Lorraine finished her nursing education, which meant almost a year to wait. We were not much interested. Morris put as much of our farm as he felt he should in the government conserving acres program. We got two hundred straight run chicks.

        At the "Mother's and Daughter's Banquet" in May I had my own daughter for the first time. I was the M.C. for the evening. I told those present that I was very happy to have my daughter-in-law with me that evening, because every other time I had to borrow a daughter. Also I said, "Perhaps I even have a grand-daughter present, but we won't know until next month." Sure enough, Michele was born in less than a month!

Douglas, Audrey, Michele with Grandparents Hauger

        Audrey's Mother and I helped to clean their house to get it ready for Audrey and Douglas to move into it by June. On June 17th, 1964, Michele Lynn was born. We were very happy to have our first grandchild.

        Morris had to hire a lot of help to make hay, plow corn, spray weeds, etc. That meant a lot of extra cooking for me. We still were in charge of the youth for Sunday evenings, I taught the adult S.S. class and played the organ.

        In July, after much conversation and insistence from Wayne Runkle and consulting with Mr. Rimington the Farm and Home Administrator for a loan of $18,000, we made out a lease to Wayne Runkle to rent our farm on the shares in 1965. Sometime that year Wayne and Lorraine planned to be married. Morris and I were a little doubtful about the arrangement, but Wayne and Flack's were confident it would work out.

        August 16th was a consecration service held at the Church for Michele and her parents.

        At women's camp I was hostess this year, officiating at mealtime.

        Robert Johansen and Ruth Ann Knechel's engagement was announced in the paper on August 21st, 1964.

        In September, we had an ordeal with stray dogs chasing and tearing our sheep. I called the sheriff one morning and told him, when he came out, in what direction the dogs had run. He found them and shot one. That took care of the dog problem for that year.

        We had a 40' x 60' pole barn and cattle shed built at the dairy farm.

        On November 4th, President Johnson won by a landslide. The country had hopes he would get out of Vietnam and help bring peace to the world. Kerner was elected again as Governor of Illinois.

        Morris was treasurer of CROP this year, so we had the money to record and put in the bank.

        At Thanksgiving time all our family were with us. The men went hunting and got five rabbits.

        My mother was too weak to have us all there at Christmas for a meal. So Ralph's family and ours went over in the evening exchanging gifts and visiting. On December 26th, our immediate family had our Christmas together. Morris' mother was with us too. The center of our joy was Michele. She sat up so well and opened most of her gifts eagerly. She really made our Christmas.





        Wayne Runkle took over the work on the farm beginning January 1st. He had done quite a lot of plowing before the ground had frozen. He bought $4,300 worth of farm equipment, feed, pigs, etc. He bought Ralph's cows because Ralph wanted to get out of the dairy business.

        That left us free to do more volunteer work at Pinecrest. Our first job was to get some rooms in the old home fit for volunteers to live in. We fixed up a nice three-room apartment for Arthur and Doris Teeter. Art was in charge of maintenance at Pinecrest and Morris worked for him. We also fixed a room for Morris and me to use when we stayed over. As soon as several rooms were redecorated and ready to be lived in, I started helping in the housekeeping department of Pinecrest. Women's organizations from other churches would send volunteers to help for a day at a time. My job was to give them work to do and keep them busy. There was always a quilt in a frame to be worked on.

        Morrie and Joyce had moved to a house in Urbana,b which was more comfortable than the little apartment. We went down to visit them in March. They told us they were expecting in the fall. In May we visited them again. They had a nice garden and were glad for it.

        Morris decided to build another camper. We got plans from a Viking Company in Minneapolis and some material, too.


Michele and her Grandparents

Our family was together for Easter. We went to church, and then had dinner in our home. We were surely enjoying Michele. She was getting cuter all the time.

        I was having more and more pain in my side. I guessed that it was colitis and that I could do nothing for it. When it was so bad I could not work anymore I went to Dr. Phillips. He had me to be an "out-patient" at the hospital and go through a series of X-rays for two days. These X-rays showed a spastic condition in my colon so Dr. gave me pills to relax that condition.

        Morris sold more machinery since we felt we did not need it because Wayne was to furnish the machinery.

        In June, the U.S. had astronauts White and McDivitts up in space. White walked outside on top of the ship.

        June 13th, Wayne and Lorraine were married. We attended the wedding and were glad for them, hoping things would go well for them.

        Robert Johansen and Ruth Ann had invited us to their wedding, which was to be in South Bend, Indiana. We decided to go in our new camper to Annual Conference in Ocean Grove and would start early to take in the wedding. We did that and also attended Reverend and Mrs. Esbensen's 50th wedding anniversary celebration in North Manchester.

        After Annual Conference we went to Washington, D.C., and on to the World's Fair. We parked on the lot designated for campers and trailers and took a bus to the fair. After one day we were ready to move on to Boston, and north along the shore to Acadia National Park in Maine. Our two nights there were cool and pleasant. Still following the shore we saw Reversing Falls and then into Nova Scotia. We took the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island, then to Halifax and Windsor and Evangeline Territory. We watched the tides at Truro and hunted for amethysts on Partridge Island.

        Then turned towards home, going through Canada. We ate lobster at St. Stephens, New Brunswick, and visited Quebec and Montreal. It was a wonderful trip, but we were glad to get home July 13th. In catching up on world affairs we learned that the world was in bad condition. The U.S. was deeper in Vietnam and there was great pressure to get out, but Johnson said we were staying in. India was fighting Pakistan.

        It looked like we would need more space for shelled corn, so we bought a 3,000-bushel Butler bin at a sale at Rock City. I helped Morris take it down. After Morris hauled it home, I helped him put it up at the dairy farm.

        In August there was a bad tornado-like storm which struck during the County Fair. It did much damage there and throughout the county. It broke down trees in our orchard and woods. Some fell on fences breaking them down.

        Astronauts Cooper and Conrad stayed in space eight days and landed in the Pacific Ocean.

        Father sold his farm north of Freeport August 31st, to Ray and Florence Schoonhoven. He wanted to give more attention to my mother who had varicose ulcers that would not heal. A doctor at Monroe put a boot on her ankle and leg to try to heal it.

Morrie, Joyce, Steven and Grandparents

        On September 5th, our grandson Steven Morris was born to Morrie and Joyce. We went down to visit them on September 19th. We thought we were lucky people to have two such fine grandchildren.

        We bought a corn dryer at Crystal Lake for $1,500. It was necessary to dry corn that went into our Butler bin.

        We wanted one more trip yet in 1965 so we took the camper to go fishing in Wisconsin, then to Monticello, Minnesota to visit friends from my grade school days. We camped there in a park by the Mississippi River. It was nice weather, so we went on to Itasca Park, the source of the Mississippi River. I had always wanted to see it. Instead of a little lake as I had envisioned it was more like a swamp. On our way home we visited relatives in Southern Minnesota.

        Our District Meeting was held at York Center that year. We went as delegates. We stayed with Brumbaugh's in Elgin. They took us to see a Pet Cemetery at Ontarioville. It amazed me that people would do so much for pets.

        By November we were becoming very disappointed in Wayne as a renter. He did not know how to manage and resented advice. We lost many, many pigs and calves for lack of care.

        For the Holidays we were all together again with our two grandchildren. Mother Firebaugh was with us for several days.





        From what we heard on radio and read in papers, it seemed that the U.S. was getting into Vietnam deeper and deeper. Our men over there were supposed to be advisors, but more and more were being sent across. Morrie was very concerned about our intervention in Vietnam and wanted us to send a "Public Opinion Message" by Western Union to President Johnson about wanting more done for peace. At the university they were being encouraged to do that. We sent the message. I don't know how much good it did. President Johnson seemed to be trying to get other capitols of the world to help bring about peace to Vietnam. Our President sent Vice President Humphrey and U.N. Representative Goldburg and other statesmen to different countries, and there seemed to be a lot of secrecy involved. But our war machine kept feeding more young men into that far country for no good purpose we could see.

        Morrie was asked to speak to the Rotary Club about his work. The date was January 19th. We were planning a trip to Florida so we decided to take Morrie back to Urbana on the first day of our trip. Morrie was going to come to Freeport by train.

        Father and his renter had a sale on January 12th, a cold day but it was a good sale. Our church women had the lunch stand.

        As our time drew near to leave for Florida, Mother got to feeling worse. Three days before we were to leave, she wanted to go to the hospital. We went over and talked with them. I could not see that she needed to go. I got the idea they wanted us to stay home. Father even told me so. It was very cold, and I persuaded Mother that she would be all right at home and that Ralph and Ann would be ready to help if she wanted them. Ralph and Ann encouraged us to go. We went but felt obligated to call home every second night.

        We always asked Galen and Thelma in Lakeland to be our home base to receive our mail and messages. At Sebring we parked in Highland Hammocks State Park. It was a very nice campground, and we were enjoying our camper. We attended a Manchester College Alumni dinner in the Sebring church. It was enjoyable because there were many friends there to visit with.

        The Walter Gordons' whom we had met at Falfurrias, Texas were living at Fort Myers Beach. So we visited them and went shell hunting, which was a lot of fun. They took us to see the "Pageant of Light", a program held outdoors in celebration of Thomas Edison's Birthday. It was a pageant held at night with all kinds of colored lights.

Joyce's Masters and Morrie's Doctorate

        At the Everglades we had a fine camping spot at Long Pine Key. We enjoyed the beautiful mild weather, flowers and birds and hiking trails. The Ranger showed slides of the beautiful Glen Canyon. Then he told of the plan to build a dam, which would destroy this great canyon and create Lake Powell. There was a lot of talk against destroying such a beautiful canyon.

        We stopped at Joyce and Morrie's home on our way back. We took every chance we had to be with them and play with Steven.

        When we got to Freeport we stopped to see my parents who were feeling good. We did not feel very good though when we got home and learned that Wayne had lost more little pigs and had sold three cows.

        I started doing the laundry and mending for my parents every week. I found time to make an embroidered quilt of birds of the states. I put it in a quilting frame in our bedroom and quilted it. I gave it to Audrey for her birthday.

        Max and Ruth Hutchins decided to move to Rockford where he had found better work. They wanted us to buy the place back. We bought it by borrowing $14,210 from the Federal Land Bank. Then we had to rent it. After showing it many time we rented it to the Fransen Family.

        Douglas, Audrey and Michele were planning to go to summer school at Carlisle, PA. They had a furnished apartment. He took a course in Astronomy and got an "A" in it. They were gone from June 14th - August 20th.

        On June 4th, Morrie, Joyce and Steven made a surprise visit to us to celebrate the good news that Morrie would be getting his Doctor's Degree in physics on graduation day. Also, Joyce would be getting her Master's Degree in education. Naturally we made plans to go to Urbana on June 17th to be there for the big day, June 18th.

        It was a very impressive day. Both children wore black robes and caps with tassels. Morrie had to wear what was called a hood. It was like a scarf worn around his neck. It was blue on one side, which was the color for the science course he had taken. It hung down his back. We are glad for the pictures we took that day. On our way home we stopped at Starved Rock State Park and took a ride on the Illinois River.

        Frances and Harold Miller had made arrangements to go to Tanzania, Africa, to teach. They were stopping in Wheaton. They wanted to see us, so we went to visit them and say good-bye.

        At Harvard, Illinois, the government was selling grain bins. We went in our camper and bought another 3000-bushel bin for $245. We took it down and hired it hauled home. We set it up next to the first one.

        August 27th, 1966, Emmert Johansen was found dead in his apartment in Chicago. An autopsy showed he died of pneumonia. He was the same age as Morrie. It was such a shock we could hardly believe it. Morrie, Joyce and Steven were on vacation, but we sent word to them. They got here in time for the funeral but not in time to be a pallbearer. Douglas was a pallbearer. Emmert is buried in Chapel Hill Cemetery south of Freeport. It was so sad. He was just beginning his doctor's practice in Chicago.

        Our apple and pear trees were producing well. We shared our garden with Audrey and Douglas. Both families froze and canned more than enough. On our dairy farm were several peach trees. Lorraine did not care to can them, so I canned many quarts and planted the seeds. We have had peaches almost every year with that start of these pink-cheek, free stone peaches.

        With the farm being rented and our renters not caring to raise chickens, we went out of the chicken business. It seemed there was always some piece of machinery giving us trouble, which was hard on our patience, nerves and health. That is why we took short excursions as often as we did.


Morrie, the Pilot and his Dad

        In September, Morrie was taking flying lessons. There was a Farm Progress Show at Farmer City, near Champaign. Morrie wanted to give his dad an airplane ride, so we visited them for a couple days. We saw the Farm show, and Dad got his plane ride with his son as pilot.

        I always had a pretty front yard with flower borders on three sides. Morris made me a fish pool where we kept goldfish and water lilies. Some years I found as many as twenty baby fish when I cleaned the pool in the fall. I gave them away to grandchildren and teacher friends. Over winter I kept the large fish in a big canner and a few baby fish in a fish bowl.

        At Thanksgiving, the children and grandchildren came. The men hunted. Steven rode Princess with Morrie's help.

        Walter and Netta Gordon visited us on their way back to Florida. We took them to visit Pinecrest and to Christmas Vespers at the high school which they appreciated very much.

        Christmas was on Sunday, so we planned our family Christmas for the 26th when we were altogether at home.





        The children gave us a tape recorder for Christmas. We used it instead of letters to send to the children in Urbana. They would send back with their voices on it. We always listened for Steven's voice on it.

        We left on January 2nd for Pinecrest where we were needed to do more volunteer work. We lived in the three-room apartment that Teeters had lived in. They were wintering in Arizona. We came home on Friday nights for the weekends. There were three youth volunteers working at Pinecrest, too, and living upstairs in the old home. We quit there February 24th because Morris was needed at home.

        Sometimes Michele would sit with me in choir. I really liked that. We often babysat with her. Sometimes she stayed overnight with us.

        January 10th, Mother Firebaugh fell in the kitchen at Ardis' home and broke her hip. She went to the hospital where it was pinned. She was there for two months. Sometimes she seemed getting along fine, and then she would lose her appetite and get weak. That happened several times until March 11th when she passed away. We were surprised because she was looking forward to leaving the hospital as soon as a room in a nursing home could be found. She was buried in Richland Center Cemetery near Bagley, Iowa.

Steve and his Grandparents

        Morrie, Joyce, and Steven stopped in on their way to Madison where he was supposed to give a seminar. He intended to apply for a position there, too. In February a teaching position was offered to him, and he accepted.

        In March 1967, Robert Johansen accepted a teaching position at Manchester College.

        The war in Vietnam got worse. U Thant of the United Nations had peace proposals, but they did not suit President Johnson.

        April 8th, MacAllisters moved out of our new cement-block house. We decided to sell it. After many ads and showing it many times we sold it to Harold (Bud) and Jenlynne Daterman July 11th. After they moved in, we had a neighborhood get acquainted party for them at our home.

        April 10th, Morris was working in the house that MacAllisters had just moved out of, getting it ready to sell. When he tried to light the furnace it exploded. He got his arms badly burned and was blown across the basement. He went to Dr. Awender who gave him medicine for shock and for his burned arms. Dr. Phillips was not in. About a week later Morris got pains in his stomach. He thought it was the flu. He had his eyes tested and got new glasses. He got so sick that he fainted. I insisted that he go to Dr. Phillips. He tested his blood and said he had lost half of his blood with a bleeding ulcer. Dr. said that Morris had to go to the hospital. Morris did not want to go, but several days later he felt he should. Tests verified the fact that Morris had a stomach ulcer. He was in the hospital for six days. When he came home he had to take medicine and was on a diet. Three weeks later he went for X-rays, which showed his ulcer healed.

        Morrie and Joyce wanted Dad to go with them to Madison to see about buying a house there. They found one they liked and were able to deal for it at a later date for $21,500. They also told us they were expecting in November. That was a nice surprise.

        We needed a larger truck. On his trip to Madison Morris had seen a '66 red Dodge truck, three-quarter ton, for sale. He went up later and bought it for $1,900. We sold our old Dodge truck for $775. We wanted a new camper for this truck. We were able to sell our homemade camper for $875. Then we found a Bee Line Camper at Bob Johnson's camper sales in Rockford. It was a 1966 model for $1,500.

        In June, Morris started to build a big machine shed at the dairy farm.

        In July, Douglas and we helped Morrie and Joyce move to Madison. They had a nice house. We were in our camper so we went on to Door County looking for cherries. We found some and picked and canned 21 pints.

        When Morrie went to the Wind River Range to climb mountains Joyce and Steven spent time at our home and with her parents.

        We decided to enclose our front porch. We put a triple set of double hung windows to the south. We bought a used sofa bed for it, and I put my new sewing machine out there. It was a very handy, comfortable, light room. Later in the fall we put combination storm windows on all the windows of the house.

        At church council meeting it was decided to buy the house east of the parish house (old parsonage). I was put in charge of the music of the church.

        August 18th, a boy was born to Wayne and Lorraine Runkle, our renters.

        August 30th, 1967, Thurgood Marshall was the first Negro to be appointed to the Supreme Court of the United States.

        In September we bought a Ford Ranch Wagon for $1,811.25.

        Pinecrest Manor trustees asked Morris to take over the position of maintenance because Art Teeters were leaving. Morris refused because he thought he was needed at the farm.

        The date for my eye surgery was set for October 11th, at 8 a.m. Before that date I tried to get canning, freezing of fruit and vegetables done and a lot of other things because from my mother's experience I knew I could not exert myself very much for quite a while. The operation performed by Dr. Kortemeier removed the cataract from my left eye. Pearl Kleckner stayed with me in the hospital for the first night. I had a lot of pain, backache and misery. Both eyes were bandaged for one day. I lay still on my back for twelve hours. The second day I could move in bed and my right eye had the bandage removed. On the fourth day I could walk a little. I went home on the seventh day, but Morris had to dress my eye every day. In two weeks the stitches were removed. I could wear my glasses with a disc on my left glass lens.

        November 3rd, 1967 Susan Joy was born to Joyce and Morrie. We went to Madison to see her and the rest of the family. Minerva Maier was keeping house for Steven and Morrie.

        Ray Bowman of Pinecrest called wanting us to work as long as we could. We went down December 4th and stayed in the three-room apartment for three weeks.

        At Thanksgiving I felt thankful for our family all together and in good health. My eye operation was over and successful.

        Joyce wanted us all to spend Christmas day with them in Madison. We all stayed over night and came home the next day.

        We went to see my parents. Mother was failing in health and getting very weak. Father was having prostate trouble.





        Reverend Sherred was still our pastor but the interest and attendance were not good. The Methodist Church was absorbing the United Brethren Church in Freeport. A couple families in our church thought we should merge with the Methodists, too. It would be easier to get a preacher, they said, and we would not be so hard pressed financially. There was a council meeting May 5th, and vote was taken on merging with the Methodists. The result was 28 to 18 against the merger. On May 10th, Reverend Sherred resigned as our pastor. We were sorry to have him leave. They left August 17th after our church had a farewell picnic for them.

        Reverend Smucker of Rockford was our Moderator. He helped our Pastoral Committee fill the pulpit until the first Sunday of October, which was communion Sunday. Reverend Smucker was in charge of communion and brought Reverend Lorrell Eikenberry over to help him. The next Sunday Reverend Eikenberry filled our pulpit and on October 13th the Pastoral Search Committee said that Reverend Eikenberry was willing to be our pastor. That pleased us, and very soon the attendance and interest increased in our congregation. The Women's Fellowship was still making quilts. We had a Bible study group of women who met once a month in member's homes. We also were in charge of Bible Study and devotions once a month at Park View Home. Morris was on the Witness commission and a Trustee of Pinecrest Manor.

        January 25th, we took my mother to the hospital. She was so weak she could not handle herself anymore. I tried to feed her each meal, but she had a hard time swallowing. On the third day she died. Father, Morris and I were there. I was holding her hand when she went. January 29th was the funeral. It was a cold and windy day. She was buried in Chapel Hill cemetery in the Garden of Hymns. Jenlynne and Lona helped at our home to serve those who came after the service. There were 28 relatives and friends. Father insisted on going to his home and staying alone.

        Morris and I were tired and wanted to take a quick trip to Florida. We asked Father to go along, but he did not care to. Ralph and Ann said they would look after him and keep in touch.

        When we got home Father was having a lot of trouble with his prostate. By March 11th, the doctor thought he should go to the hospital for tests. He had uremic poisoning. March 19th he had prostate surgery. Morris helped him shave and I visited him every day. Father was very confused after his surgery. I don't know if it was caused by his high blood pressure or hardening of his arteries. He was dismissed March 27th and came to our place. He could not sleep nights even with the medicine the doctor gave him. He always called me down from upstairs where we slept. Just getting my attention made him feel better. Then he would sleep a lot in the daytime. He became more confused and sometimes didn't know what he was doing or where he was. I told the doctor who said we should put him in the hospital again. So he entered again April 12th. I called Pinecrest and Mr. Bowman said he could get in there May 1st. That is the way we planned then, but he got a massive stroke April 18th and passed away. The funeral was April 22nd.

        Early in 1968 the Jaycees of our area gave Douglas an honor as being the "Educator of the Year."

        April 4th, Martin Luther King was assassinated. That added race problems to the war problems the U.S. was having. President Johnson decided not to run for President again.

        In June, Robert Kennedy who was a candidate for the Presidency was assassinated. Russia had invaded Czechoslovakia.

        Fransens, who had been renting our Brandt farmhouse after we had bought it back from Max Hutchins, moved out. So we advertised it as a 1 3/4 acre house and lot for sale. Charles and Helen Fullerton bought it for $16,750.

        Daterman's decided to sell their home (cement-block house). The road was too dusty and the telephone service not good enough. William Karolus bought it and paid us monthly the rest that Daterman's owed at 7% interest.

        After Father's death we got his will probated. Ralph and I were executors. Lawyer Beckmire advised us to sell the personal property, furniture, dishes, tools, etc. Father never liked to throw things away. The sale was held May 25 after we did a lot of sorting and discarding. The sale netted $1,300. Douglas and Audrey were interested in buying Father's property, so we had it appraised. May 29 they bought the property and spent a couple months remodeling and redecorating it. In August they sold it at a nice profit for their summer's work.

        To get some rest again we took our camper to Nicolet Forest Preserve in Northern Wisconsin. From there we went to Spooner and out to Island Lake where Mrs. Townsend still lived and where we had enjoyed fishing years ago. She told us to park our camper under one of her large Oaks. We rented one of her boats and found fishing good again. We stayed there five days, looking around at some lake property for sale.

        Across Island Lake was some property, which looked good to us. We learned the address of its owner, Doyle Wilcox, and came home and wrote to him. He told us to come to him because he wanted to sell. We bought the 250 feet lake frontage for $5,000. He gave us the abstract, which we took to Spooner to lawyer W.W. Bitney to check it out. Then we camped on our property and called Morrie and Joyce. They came the next day. They slept in the cabin and we in our camper. We met Gus Dery, one of the neighbors there. The abstract was good. We came back to the cabin in October and put a ceiling in it. The inside was unfinished, but it had electricity, beds, dinette table and chairs, dishes, refrigerator and electric stove.

The Island Lake Cabin before the Fire
The Island Lake Cabin after the Fire

        When we got home we found that Wayne had lost six feeder pigs and had been taken off Grade A milk. He was so far in debt that Mr. Rimington was considering selling him out. August 6, we sent a registered letter to Wayne and Lorraine telling them we could not renew their contract for another year. We looked for another renter and found Cliff and Pat Jacobs who had some experience farming. They signed the contract to move on April 1.

        In August we got a 12-horse power tractor from Montgomery Ward for $1,000. We also got the mower and snow blower attachments.

        Audrey and Douglas wanted to build a new home for themselves. They asked us if they could buy half of the woods on the Brandt farm. We had it surveyed. They bought 2 1/4 acres from us for $1,200. Then they started drawing house plans.

        Nixon and Agnew in November became our President and Vice President. Ogilvie became Governor of Illinois.

        In November, Dad and Douglas went deer hunting. Dad got a 100 pound doe.

        In December Morris got a "kit" from the Coast-to-Coast store in Spooner to make a stove out of a thirty gallon steel drum or barrel. We had seen one made that way at Mrs. Townsend's on Island Lake. That little stove lasted for years and gave out plenty of heat. It even went through a forest fire, which burned our original cabin. We still use it. We also bought a boat this year to take to the cabin in the spring.

        Christmas Day all nine of our family were together. The three grandchildren enjoyed playing together. Steven especially liked to ride Princess.





        During the last week of 1968 I had been bothered with my left eye hurting and I seemed to be losing my sight in it. It was the one I had surgery on to remove a cataract in 1967. On January 3 it got so bad I went to Dr. Kortemeier. He was very concerned saying the retina was becoming detached, and I should go to a specialist in a hurry. His office made arrangements for me to be in to Passavant Hospital in Chicago by 10:30 the next morning to see Dr. Dobbie.

        It made me nearly sick to think of going to all that trouble in such cold weather and icy roads. We called Bessie Crim who was at that time a nurse at the Weslyan Hospital and who lived in a big apartment building near the hospital. She said there were rooms available in her building for Morris to stay in Chicago with me as long as necessary. Dr. Dobbie and his associate examined my eye. The examination lasted at least two hours and was very painful. So was the surgery. I was in there for eight days. Morris had driven home and came back when I called. Dr. Dobbie said my eye was in excellent condition and I should come back in ten days. I did that and then he turned me over to Dr. Kortemeier's care. But in six months he wanted to see me again. I've been very glad for the good sight I've had in my left eye as a result of this surgery. If I had not had it I would be blind in that eye.

        We had a hard time to clean up the dairy barn because of the mess Wayne had left in it. Cliff Jacobs could not move until January 20 because of it.

        February 14 we bought our first T.V. set, a color portable Zenith for $490. We had trouble with it until we put up a new antenna. All together it cost over $600, which we were disappointed about, but we kept it. Dr. Dobbie had said "no T.V. watching for at least six weeks." So I went easy and didn't do much viewing at first.

        Our Women's Fellowship was still sewing quilts for relief. We were still having Bible Study in our homes once a month, and once a month we were responsible for Bible reading and study at Parkview Home.

        Morris was chairman of the county CROP organization. Also, he was still on the Pinecrest board.

        Members of our church did tutoring at the church for children of Lincoln School who were having trouble with their studies. Morris and I both were tutors.

        We gave Morrie and Douglas each a one and one third acre lot (of that part of our farm on the Lily Creek Road between the house Karolus was buying and our west line fence) to build on or sell.

        On March 13th Michele told me she was going to have a little brother or sister when they moved into their new "long" house. That was good news.

        On March 28 ex-President Eisenhower died at age 78.

        Morris and I started looking over the south side of our woods for a possible location for a new house for us. Douglas was making arrangements to start building his house on the North side.

        Our neighborhood was saddened when one of our boys, a former member of our 4-H club, was killed in the Vietnam War. The U.S. was still deep in Vietnam and losing thousands of our young men in battle. Students in universities and colleges across the states were rebelling against the useless waste of life. Berkeley, Stanford, Harvard, Kent State, Columbia in New York were just a few.

        In June, we went to our cabin to fish and see how the little barrel stove worked. The fishing was good, and the stove worked fine on cool mornings. There were many wild flowers and birds. There were whip-poor-wills which we heard and enjoyed each evening.

        Morrie told us he was getting in as a professor of physics on the "ground floor" of a new state university called Parkside located between Racine and Kenosha, Wisconsin. He thought it was a great opportunity for advancement. They were able to sell their Madison home for cash and to buy a nice house in Racine. On August 8 Morris and I, with our truck and Douglas and Audrey with theirs,l went early to Madison and loaded both the trucks with what Morrie and Joyce were not taking in their rent-all van. We moved them into their new home and got back to Freeport yet that evening. About all I did was to keep track of our three grandchildren.

        July 20, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walked on the moon while Mike Collins sailed the command ship sixty miles above. The astronauts then left the moon, joined the command ship and landed back in the U.S., but were quarantined for some time not knowing what germs they might have brought home.

        Audrey and Douglas moved into their new home in the woods the last of July. Robert and Ruth Ann Johansen had a baby boy born August 3, named Eric Christopher.

Susan, Steven, Dena, and Michele at Christmasm

        My parent's estate was settled up. We gave each of our boys a check for $2,000. Father gave the colored glass windows of our church sanctuary as a memorial to my mother. The colored glass in the north foyer windows was a gift from Bessie Crim.

        September 3, Dena Lee was born to Audrey and Douglas. I helped Michele onto the school bus to go to kindergarten that day and canned up fourteen quarts of grape juice that Audrey had ready to can when she went to the hospital. The next day I helped Michele again because it was raining. I canned thirteen quarts of tomatoes that day for Audrey. She came home September 7. Over that weekend Michele stayed over night with us.

        October 8, we made our last trip to the cabin. It was quite cool, but fishing was fair. We closed the cabin, putting our boat inside.

        Morris and I spent considerable time trying to decide where to put our new house on the south side of the woods. We would call our place "Breezewood."

        For Thanksgiving and Christmas there were ten of us. We were together and in good health. We had much for which to thank our Lord. We spent some enjoyable hours with the Charles Johansen family and their grandson, too.





        January 6, Morris and I took our camper and headed West and South to warmer weather. We visited Jealouse's in Dallas and camped at Big Bend Park in Southern Texas. Then on to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico. We wanted to see the Caverns again. We made a quick stop at Tucson to see Teeters and then on to Joshua Tree National Monument in California where we camped a while. We stopped in LaVerne for several days to visit our many friends there. Morris' sister and husband, Kathryn and Harold smith, lived in Torrance, California. When we visited them we met their children and their families.

        We enjoyed Disney Land and the San Diego zoo before turning towards home. Camping was very pleasant in the Organ Pipe Cactus Monument and at Palo Verde. The Copper Mine at Ajo, Arizona, made me think of the one near Salt Lake City, Utah. At old Tucson we saw where the many Western movies and T.V. shows had been made. We stopped again at Teeter's who took us to see the Sonoran Desert Museum and Kitts Peak where there is a special kind of telescope. Tombstone, Arizona, was very interesting. We were glad to find George and Ione MacAdam at Dragoon, Arizona, where they had a pleasant ranch home. Leaving them we went via Stonewall, Texas where we visited a marble works and bought a pair of marble bookends. We took pictures of L.B. Johnson's Ranch.

        At Gulfport, Miss., we found the Mennonite Volunteer Disaster Headquarters at Camp Landon. Our friends from Freeport, Illinois were in charge. Orvis and Freda Pfile had come down there to help the victims of the terrible Camille hurricane. We stayed there ten days. Morris helped to rebuild homes and I helped cook for 17 to 28 people each day. Every Sunday new volunteers would come to work as others left. We learned that the Church of the Brethren had a disaster unit 15 miles farther west. They had come to the area a month later than the Mennonites. When we got home we found that George MacAdam had died the day before. That was an awful shock to us.

        We enjoyed showing our pictures of our seven-week vacation to friends and relatives. We even were asked to give some programs, especially of our volunteer work.

        April 11, Morrie wrote that he had received a citation and $1,000 award from the University of Wisconsin system for being an outstanding University Educator. He was also asked to be Acting Dean until July.

        Morris and I looked some more to find the right spot to build. Finally we measure out a place 30' x 46' in Breezewood. We asked Dick Steele to be our main contractor, but Morris and Douglas would do much of the building.

Breezewood on Harlem Center Road

        April 14, Tipton started excavating for the basement. By April 27, the foundation was poured. Then we asked the electric company to bring electricity in to run the power saws. After the beams were put up and the sub floor laid, I was needed to do nailing down of plywood, etc. May 12, Tipton dug in the septic tank and drain bed. By May 18, the shingles were on the house. We got our material from Fullerton Company locally, from Fish Lumber Company in Monroe, Wisconsin, and cherry red bricks from Brazil, Indiana.

        In June, we took a week off to go to Island Lake to fish and rest. The fireplace was finished while we were gone. I did not like it as well as the one at the home place. In the new house I spent many hours varnishing all the doors, and painting all the woodwork. I put down linoleum in all the closets, guest room, and bathrooms. Morris and Douglas laid the carpet over the rest of the floors. I planned to use the guest room for my sewing room. By the first week of August, the men had the cupboards up in the kitchen and electricity in for heating and lights. Also, the water and sewer connections were made.

        August 6, Datermans and Besserts helped us to move most of the heavy pieces into Breezewood. Karolus even helped move our original cookstove, which we had left in the new block house. Karolus had no use for it, and we were glad for it in our basement.

        Our Women's Fellowship continued to have Bible Study at Parkview Home until May 12, when we discontinued it for the summer. In our regular fellowship meetings we were quilting as usual. By October we had finished nineteen. I taught the third and fourth grades in Bible school. Morris and I were responsible for teaching the adult S.S. class. Ann was chairman of the education commission, and I was a member of it. At the June council meeting our congregation decided to build an education addition onto the east side of our church if we could borrow the money from the Brotherhood Board.

        We were twice as busy as usual during spring and summer with the garden because we planted some at the home place and started a garden spot at Breezewood. We transplanted asparagus, rhubarb, strawberries, grapes, bulbs, and shrubs and young fruit trees.

        At the same time we were building at Breezewood we were dealing with a problem with the electric company and the road commissioner. The electric company demanded a strip of our land 43 feet wide by 200 rods long running through the middle of our two hundred acre farm from south to north for a power line. Lawyer Beckmire said we could not stop them. All we could do would be to bargain for the best price to get them to pay us for the lien on our farm. They had to cut down several oak, walnut and plum trees to get through the woods and orchard at the home place.

        The road commissioner wanted me to sign to give permission for the county to take, not buy, twelve feet of our farm frontage on the north side of Lily Creek Road. This was necessary to straighten the road, he said. Morris would have to take out the fence in order for them to grade off the land and then Morris would have to put the fence back up. For all this extra work we got nothing except the trees, which they would cut down. We lost our front yard pine trees, two walnut trees, a cedar and apple tree. Also, all the front border flowers and bushes and asparagus were plowed out.

        Finally, Morris was pressured into signing the permit. We had a messy road in front of our property for over a year with cars sometimes getting stuck in the mud. The road was not finished until the next summer.

        April 30, President Nixon ordered our troops into Cambodia. It really was a low point for our Nation. It looked like a terrible, useless involvement, and it seemed the whole world thought we were wrong and hated us. In June, the President gave a speech on T.V. defending his acts because there was such a resistance building up against him among the population concerning the Vietnam War.

        June 6, Morris and I went to Racine to the Parkside University commencement program. It was the first graduation class from the new university. Morrie as Acting Dean had a large part to do in it. Maier's were there, too.

        After much of the harvesting of garden produce was over and canning and freezing done, we went to our cabin. Fishing was good, and we appreciated the rest.

        There were ten from our congregation attending district meeting at Decatur that Fall.

        When Cliff sold his hogs they were at an all time low — $15 to $16 a cwt.

        At Thanksgiving, we were invited to Ivan and Minerva Maier's home. Morrie and family were there, too.

        It was December before we got a private phone. We had to wait our turn.

        For Christmas we gave to Morrie and Douglas a deed and the key to the cabin on Island Lake. From then on we have shared in the expense and use of it, of course.

        The children decided instead of always celebrating Christmas Day at the home of their parents, we would all take turns with the three families involved. So Christmas of 1970 was spent in the home of Morrie and Joyce.





        Our year started out with a visit from our cousins, Galen and Thelma Hauger, from Lakeland, Florida. They brought along citrus fruit for Ralph's, Douglas' and us. Two weeks later we were visiting them in Lakeland. We thought we needed a camping vacation again. Leaving Galen's we stopped at Sebring, Florida, to visit friends. When we got to the Everglades we camped a week. At Key West I bought some hand painted material to make myself a dress.

        When we got back to Sebring we attended a Manchester College reunion banquet. It was very enjoyable because I met and renewed friendships I had made in past years. We were visiting Mildred Harner on the Sunday p.m. when the Apollo 14 blasted off. We saw it from her back yard. We camped at Highland Hammocks State Park. The deer there were quite tame, and the wild oranges and grapefruit were a challenge to find. At Myakka Park, Morris had a chance to fish. He got many bullheads. In the evening there was a moonlight ride with music furnished and wild animals, mainly raccoons, to see. At Oscar Shearer Park, our neighbors had a T.V. They invited us over to watch astronauts, Allen Shepherd and Ed Mitchell, walk on the moon.

        We went shelling on Sanibel Island. Morris found live sand dollars, stars and olive shells. We stayed in a trailer court with Walter and Netta Gordan at Fort Myers Beach. Morris went deepsea fishing, but I stayed with Gordons who went to a flower and shell show. On our way home we listened to a chimes concert at the Bok Tower. We spent a whole day at the Cypress Gardens, seeing three shows. At Orange City, we got stuck in the sand while looking for the property Kate and Harold Smith owned. A wrecker from the A.A.A. had to pull us out. When we got to Atlanta, Georgia, we camped at Stone Mt. Campground. The next day we climbed the mountain and got a mountain climbers certificate! When we got home after six weeks of fun we learned Cliff Jacobs had lost all of his little pigs with a disease!

        A high point of the year for us was the spiritual growth, which was taking place in our congregation. We were growing in numbers too. The new education addition also was being built. Reverend Lorrel Eikenberry was our pastor, and we owed much of our growth to his leadership. During Lent, he often gave the invitation to those in the congregation who wanted to become Christians to step to the front of the church, and show publicly their decision. On March 7, Kathy Hauger and Dennis Lizer stepped out for Christ. By Easter time there were twenty who desired baptism. On Thursday evening before Easter we had 79 at the communion tables in the basement. Sunrise service was held at the observatory by the youth on Easter morning. That was followed by breakfast served in the basement of the church. After the morning worship service there was the baptism. Later in May we had a special reception for the new members.

        Shortly after Easter, the building committee reported to our congregation on the progress they had made. As far as the code was concerned they had to ask for a variance because of the distance between the building and the street. Permission was given. We were also fortunate for a promise of financial help from the Brotherhood. One of our members, Florence Dumpman, loaned our congregation $8,000. Art and Doris Teeter loaned us $1,000. April 27, we had a groundbreaking ceremony. The old parsonage had to be torn down. Members were encouraged to transplant any flowers they wanted from the yard of the old parsonage. We took a couple peony roots to plant at Breezewood.

        By July 13, we were ready for the corner stone laying. Much of the work was done by volunteer help. When it came time to paint the inside walls, the women began to help. The floors were ready for carpet by September 30. Morris and I drove our truck to Fort Wayne, Indiana, to get the carpet, which had been ordered. We had to make two trips. November 17 was our ribbon cutting ceremony. Ralph was chairman of the board at that time. Reverend Carl Smucker was our Elder. They, with Reverend Lorrel Eikenberry and Mayor McLeroy, were some of the leaders who had a part. Clarence Bittner of Lake in the Woods Nursery landscaped the churchyard. We also had 60 new church hymnals put into use at that time.

        The tutoring program was in operation by volunteers of the church. Morris went more often than I. I was in charge of Bible reading at Parkview and the morning Bible study and prayer circle in our members' homes. We kept these meetings up until winter, and then we quit for a while. Morris was in charge of the CROP program, which took many hours of attention. We went to the cabin four times. During our time in July we picked, froze and canned some blueberries.

        We stayed with Ralph and Ann's children while he and Ann went to California. When they came back, they sold their farm and made arrangements to move to California. Ann had a yard sale. They asked O'Mara to move their furniture, etc. on December 18. They had two cars, so they drove one and pulled the other.

        During the summer Douglas, Audrey and girls had taken a trip through Maine and Nova Scotia. Then they stopped at Bowdoin College for six weeks of summer school. He got a rating of superior.

        In September, Morris and I and 2,000 others went to Chicago by bus to attend an AMPI meeting (American Milk Producers, Inc.). President Nixon, Paul Harvy and Governor Ogalvie were speakers.

        At Christmas we went to the home of Douglas and Audrey. Morris and I gave each of our Grandchildren that year a $250 check for their saving account.

        Morris had not been feeling good for over a year. Dr. Phillips said surgery on his prostate was the only cure. He went to the hospital Dec. 28 and had surgery the 30th. Dr. Collilo and Phillips did incision surgery. The test proved benign for which we were very grateful.

        Several people asked us to buy the dairy farm during that year. Morris thought he was not ready yet to sell it.





        I brought Morris home from the hospital January 6. His total bill was $2,007. While Morris was in the hospital, Audrey and Douglas took very good care of me, and I appreciated it.

        January 18, Chuck Fullerton wanted to pay up his place, which we called "the Brandt Farm." He wanted some extra ground. We got the abstract brought up to date for him and received his $12,000. Then we paid off the loan we had taken to buy the place from Max Hutchins.

        By February, Morris was dismissed by Dr. Phillips, and we left with our camper for a warmer climate. We stopped in St. Louis to see and go up in the Arch. Then we found Orvis and Freda Pfile who were doing volunteer work in the slums of St. Louis, trying to make certain areas fit for people to live in. It was a worthwhile work. Then we went through Oklahoma and Flagstaff on our way to Lake Havasu City, Arizona. There we stayed four days with John and Velma Brumbaugh. John was working in the printing factory there.

        We stopped in LaVerne, California for a short visit with Ralph's, promising to stay longer on our way home. We stayed four days with Kathryn and Harold Smith in Torrance. They took us to visit my Uncle Ira Yohn in Hollenbeck Home in Los Angeles. We also went to hear Kathryn Kuhlman who was a lady preacher who seemed to have the ability to heal people of their diseases. Back in LaVerne, Ann had a party of fourteen relatives and friends who came to be with us. We really enjoyed that. Uncle Clarence gave us tickets to see Fred Waring and his Pennsylvanians at Pasadena, California. We spent six days with Ralph and Ann visiting and sightseeing. On our way home, we stopped to see Teeters in Tucson. Then we camped at Cherricahua National Monument in New Mexico, where we were in a lovely campground. We got home March 9.

        We took in five new members at church in March. On Easter Sunday there were 127 in attendance for services. On April 23 we had the dedication of our new education addition. Dale Brown, Carl Smucker, Carl Myers, Marion Pitman and Clara and Clarence Fike were our special guests. At morning worship we had 187 in attendance. We fed the crowd that day, serving more than 180 people. In May at the "Kings and Their Court Banquet" Morrie and Steven came to attend with Morris. In the fall our congregation called two new deacon families, Earl and Mildred Farringer and Lona and Beaty Kinney.

        Morris was still on the Pinecrest board. Late in the summer one of our elderly members, Pearl Kleckner, wanted to go to Pinecrest. Several years earlier she had bought a room there. With our truck and the help of Gerald Carpenter, we moved her into her room. A former neighbor, Minnie Cooper, asked us to start proceedings for her to move into Pinecrest. In six weeks, we had made arrangements to have her household sale in Freeport and to get her moved into Pinecrest.

        Morrie was hired to teach graduate students at Madison in the university for the summer. Through a teacher friend in Madison, who was also in summer school farther west, Morrie and Joyce "borrowed" his house to live in while Morrie was teaching those summer months.

        July 6, Jenlynne Daterman went to the hospital for surgery on her gall bladder. I sat with her the day after the surgery. By August 9 our home place house was vacant again. After Morris and I cleaned it up and did some painting and mending of some broken things, the Daterman's began renting it. We were glad to get someone in there who really cared about keeping things in good shape.

        April 3, we bought a 1970 Galaxie station wagon through Art Hauger, the Ford salesman, for $2,624. We sold our '66 station wagon for $485.

        Also in April, Douglas and Audrey bought Joe Raepple's 76 acre farm on the corner of North Harlem and Rt. 20. They called it "North Acres." Morris helped Douglas all his available time to get ready for a sale of stuff that came with the place. That sale was in June. The rest of the summer they spent getting it ready to rent.

        Bill Karolus, who was buying the cement-block house, sold it and paid us in full. So then we were able to pay off our last mortgage. Morris said, "We'll miss going to the Federal Land Bank Dinners!" We had been their customers for thirty-one years.

        In April we heard that Orvis Pfile had terminal cancer.

        Cliff and Pat Jacobs were a little discouraged, it seemed. Lightning had struck at the home place knocking out the pump and killing four cows. Cliff told Morris he wanted to move, have a sale so that we could get our share of the stocks and crops. The sale was planned for January 1973. Knowing that, Morris and I decided to sell 180 acres of the 200 acres. We would keep the land around the buildings and the buildings of the home place. So we listed it with Hawley and Owens. On November 6 we signed a contract to sell it to LaVerne and Linda Nimtz.

        We had gone to the cabin three times during the summer, closing it in October. There had been no blueberries because a frost got the blossoms.

        A lady named Dona Vastic from Yugoslavia started attending our church. Pastor Lorrel said she wanted someone to sponsor her daughter and granddaughter to come to U.S. to live. Lorrel wondered if we would. So we started proceedings, which included contacting our congressman and then writing our embassy in Yugoslavia for visas, etc. Dona could not do it herself because she was not yet a citizen. But she was working to become one.

        Morris, as Chairman of CROP, had a lot of work to get a successful canvas set up. He also had a booth at the County Fair.

        In December, Cernon and Smith walked on the moon. They were the eleventh and twelfth persons to do that.

        Douglas, while chopping wood, cut and broke a bone in his foot. A caste was put on, and he kept on teaching. While the caste was still on, he and family went to Homecoming at M.C. Morrie and family and Morris and I went also because we wanted to be there when Douglas received an award and citation for boosting Manchester College and encouraging students to enroll there.

        While attending District Meeting at Canton, Illinois, we received word that Aunt Sally in West Concord, Minnesota had died. We cut our time short at the meeting and attended her funeral.

        The war situation kept getting worse. In May, Nixon ordered the harbors mined and cut off trade with Vietnam by water. Through the summer he kept talking about peace talks going on, but we found out it was propaganda to get him re-elected. He ordered Haiphong and Hanoi bombed. Fulbright's committee in Congress began to question him, so Nixon then made another speech to justify his actions. Late in summer he had the harbors mined again. The war got more terrible than before. A little while before election he promised to work for peace, but it was rumored the war machine did not encourage him because they were making such a huge profit. George McGovern was running against him with the promise of peace. The Pentagon was able to buy enough votes to defeat McGovern, and Nixon was re-elected, but his election did not represent the voice of the population at home.

        We were invited to Maier's for Thanksgiving and enjoyed a delicious meal and fine fellowship. For Christmas we were with Morrie and family at Racine. Morris and I gave the Grandchildren each $250 for their savings account and hoped we could continue that practice indefinitely.





        On January 1, Douglas and family came over to watch the Rose Parade on TV because we had color. We always enjoyed having them.

        January 29, I entered the hospital for surgery. It was for a cystocele and rectocele correction. Dr. Phillips had to perform a partial hysterectomy, too. I had lots of pain and IVs. On the eighth day I was able to go home, but I was not able to do much for a couple of weeks. Dr. dismissed me on April 12th.

        Cliff's and our sale was February 15th. It was a cold day, but the sale went fair. We were glad when it was over.

        In March, we bought a new Shasta 14 foot trailer from Baker in Genoa, Illinois. We paid $1,695. We were able to sell our truck and camper in May.

        On April 14, Dr. Charles Morris, former head of the physics department at M.C., died in LaVerne, California. Morrie was asked to speak at a Memorial service for him at Manchester College.

        Dona Vastic got her girls over here finally through our help. They came in May. I took them to a school for "new Americans" to learn English. Diana, the granddaughter, was quick to learn and her mother could read English but was timid about speaking. By August, they were home sick for Yugoslavia. They wanted us to take them to Rockford to get the bus to O'Hare. Dona was very discouraged with them.

        Orvis Pfile lived for over a year after it was determined that he had cancer. Sometimes we thought he was getting better. But in June, he died.

        The Stees family gave a set of pulpit furniture to our church. It was dedicated to the memory of Jennie and Herman Stees who were charter members of our church.

        The Teeters visited us in June. While they were here, Art helped build a patio on the north side of our house. The glass doors of our living room opened onto it. Later Morris built a table to use for picnics or for flowers, ripening tomatoes, etc.

        In July, we made a third trip to our cabin. We pulled our trailer and set it up near the cabin for Daterman's to use. They came to visit and stayed four days with us. Pulling the trailer, our car only went eight miles to one gallon!

45th Reunion of Sterling H.S. Class of 1928 (I'm Second Row, 6th from Right)

        In June, we went to Sterling to celebrate the 45th reunion of the graduating class of 1928 from the high school. I enjoyed it very much. We stayed overnight with Hazel and Truman Lapp.

        In August we hired the gables of the barn at the home place painted. Morris and Douglas painted the rest of the barn and the other buildings that needed paint. It fell to my lot to paint the trim on the barn windows.

        Sunday August 26, our congregation had a special service at which we licensed James Eikenberry, our pastor's son to the ministry. Carl Smucker took part. Later in the year, Jim was married.

        District Meeting was at Elgin, and we attended.

        In April, the "Watergate Affair" in Washington, D.C., began. Watergate is the name of an office there, in which some political treachery took place. A long lasting scandal started which included our President and his advisors. The government tried to draw attention to some "Pentagon Papers" which were published and which the government said revealed classified material. But the courts dismissed the case. Vice President Agnew resigned because he was blamed for illegal conduct. Gerald Ford was named Vice President. President Nixon fired government attorneys Cox and Richardson. Then Rucklehouse resigned because the President wanted him to act illegally too. It was against their conscience to do some of the things Nixon wanted them to do. Talk started to impeach the President. Judge Sirica was appointed to investigate the case. Soon, Nixon promised to give up his tapes of his conversations with his advisors.

Millerburg School which both boys attended

        During this year Michele and Dena would come over quite often to play in different ways with me. We liked to mold things out of plaster of Paris like their father used to do as a child. We made molds of birds, lambs and fruit, etc. Then they could paint them. We played games with cards, dominoes, scrabble, and so on. I had as much fun as they did!

        In December, during hunting season, Morris went hunting with the Marskie boys. One morning Morris shot two deer in about that many minutes. That was exciting for them. Of course he gave one of them away. The next day, Douglas shot a buck.

        In November, there was talk of gas rationing, because of trouble around Israel and Arab Nations. Also we heard much talk about saving fuel and turning down thermostats. There was much evidence, though, that the gas and oil companies were manipulating a shortage for their profit. Ships full of oil were seen staying out in the harbors because they could not get permission to unload. Gas went up to one dollar a gallon.

        In November, Morris and I made reservations to go to Hawaii in January.

        Christmas Day, as well as Thanksgiving Day, our families were together here at Breezewood and at Douglas and Audrey's.

        The old Millerburg School, which was the rural school where Morrie and Douglas went, had been moved onto the museum grounds in town. Morrie was interested in seeing it again, so we visited it before they went back to Racine. There were pictures and records there, which he quickly recognized.





        January 5 we left for Hawaii for our 40th anniversary celebration. It was a tour sponsored by the Farm Wife news magazine. We left our car at Ivan Maier's home. He took us to the O'Hare Airport. We flew on a Braniff 727 to Dallas and from there on a 747 to Honolulu. It took eight hours, because we had tough weather. Many got sick. We stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki hotel. We visited a dairy farm and a seed corn farm. By a DC 7 plane we went to the island of Kaui where we saw pineapple and sugar cane ranches. The Kodak show was good. By special tour we went to the Polynesian Cultural Center. Then, by boat, we toured Pearl Harbor, which was a sad experience. In the Punch Bowl cemetery we saw the graves of hundreds of U.S. soldiers who died in the Second World War and the Vietnam War. We got back home Jan 13.

40th Anniversary Trip to Hawaii

        Forty years before, Morris had given us a set of Golden Glow dishes. They were beautiful, but many of them had broken. At a household sale, Morris was able to buy a beautiful china set of dishes with only two cups missing out of a service for twelve. I sold privately what was left of our Golden Glow set.

        In March, Morris and I went by air to California. Smith's met us at the Los Angeles airport. We visited with Kate and Harold Smith and their children and grandchildren. Then Kate and Harold took us to where Uncle Ira Yohn was living. There Ralph and Ann met us. In LaVerne, Ann had a party for us. We had an enjoyable time visiting friends and relatives again before we left for home from the Ontario airport, which is near LaVerne.

        Douglas went to summer school in Holland, Michigan, for six weeks, taking his family with him.

        We went to the cabin three times. In July, we pulled the trailer again for Datermans to sleep in when they came to visit us for a few days. At one time, when Morris and I were on the lake fishing, the DNR came along side our boat and asked to see our fish and our license. Our license was back in the cabin. We offered to get it, but we were told very emphatically that after this it had to be with us always.

        At the May 19 church council we called Jim Eikenberry to be our summer student pastor. He and Sue lived in a house furnished by one of our members. Our summer attendance was very good.

        For my birthday, Morris took me to Rockford to see the Lippenzaner Horses perform. They were very good. Early in June, before they went to summer school, Douglas and Audrey took us to the Amber Lights for supper to celebrate our 40th anniversary. When we got home, there was a surprise party at their house for us. The Charles Johansens and Jerry and Ardis MacAdam were there.

Fun on Our Hawaiian Vacation

        In Racine, we attended a ballet program in which Susan performed. She was very pretty and graceful. Morrie was also promoted at the university. He was now a Full Professor.

        While Douglas was in summer school, there was a bad storm here, which demolished the roof on the observatory and did damage to the equipment.

        In August of 1974, we had our last regular Hauger reunion here at Breezewood. We decided, because so many of our group were going to move away or had already moved, that we would call a special meeting when there was an occasion to visit with relatives here on visit.

        There was a need by the high school to find a place to teach the dropouts and delinquents. Reuben Baumgartner, who was in charge, asked our church council if we would allow them to use the old basement of our church. We could lock it off from the new part. So we gave consent. We were sorry afterwards. They were a problem. They clogged the toilets, flooded the basement, stole and broke equipment. We asked Baumgartner to find another place for them.

        The Freeport teachers had a strike, which lasted six days. They did not gain a thing.

        The teachers in Racine were on strike, too. Joyce had Steven and Susan spend a week with us until their strike was settled.

        In the fall, Morris and I with our trailer attended the Park County Indiana Covered Bridge Festival. Of the 39 bridges in the county, we saw 30 of them. That was fun, following different trails to locate them.

40th Anniversary Surprise Party

        For years, Morris had put up with a hernia, wearing a truss most of the time. In December he had surgery to correct that condition and felt much better.

        We bought an A.C. tractor for $475 to help with the haying at Breezewood.

        The U. S. Constitution and government were really put to the test this year. From the investigation of the Federal Prosecutor, it began to look like there were grounds to impeach President Nixon. So, rather than having that disgrace, Nixon resigned August 8, 1974. Gerald Ford was sworn in immediately. Then, in a few days, Nelson Rockefeller was named Vice President. On September 10, President Ford gave Nixon an unconditional pardon. Feelings of many in our nation were against that action. They thought Nixon had broken the law and should be punished.